How do I backup my files when my laptop is stuck on the automatic system repair loop?

Mog Zog

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
I restarted my computer the other day in an attempt to sort out a wifi problem but when the laptop started back it it was stuck in the automatic system repair loop. I want to install a clean windows 10 but to get my documents on a USB stick first. How do it do this?
(I have Windows 10 and a Lenovo y50)
It won't let me do an in-place refresh.

Last edited:

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
option 1:
if the data drive is removeabl3, you can remove it and mount it onto another working computer using external drive enclosure/reader. then dump the data on to a USB stick.

option 2: get a bootable preinstall environment CD or USB drive. Systernals may have something.

option 3:
make a bootable Windows installer CD or USB drive using Media Creation Tool. see if you can do an in-place refresh keeping all your data.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Just had this problem yesterday with a friends desktop PC, infinite boot-loop (could not restore to previous version) after a Windows 10 update. Removed the HDD, installed in an external dock (can use an enclosure), then connected to another PC to access and backup files.

Options 2&3 suggested by midnightfrolic might work too but there's no guarantee they won't screw something up as well... I have little faith in MSFT's abilities these days to automate successfully so would strongly recommend option #1 if your files have any signifiant importance to you.

If you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself or don't have the resources, find a friend that'll offer their assistance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss