How do I best Microsoftize my new Pixel 2?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Microsoft phones for probably fifteen years - Windows CE (if I remember right), Windows Mobile, and Windows Phone. Last night I got tired of waiting. My nearly 4 year old Lumia Icon (wow, just looked up the launch date - the day I got it - and I didn't realize I was THAT close to 4 years!) has served me well. Since Microsoft is giving up, though, and hasn't let me get the latest insider builds on it, I finally decided that after two batteries have gone through it, I need a new phone. I decided on the Pixel 2.

I saw this thread (https://forums.windowscentral.com/a...ery-microsoft-windows-10-mobile-new-post.html), but since it is from last summer, and Microsoft has only improved their support of Android, I thought I'd ask the question.

I've got the Microsoft Launcher, and like it. I've got Cortana (I'm one of the people who talks to her - and has an Invoke in the living room as well), and of course the Office apps. Outlook is my mail app, Edge is my browser, OneDrive will have my pictures covered (I haven't taken any yet, though, so it's untested).

One issue is that I have the tap/hold home button set to Cortana, and if I say "Text my wife blah blah blah," it doesn't know who my wife is like my phone, or even my PC does. How do I fix that? Also, she says she'll send the text, but then when I look in the Messages app, it says the text didn't send, and I have to tap it to retry. How do I fix that?

Here's to venturing into a world where there are actually apps. I've been looking forward to PWAs, and I really didn't miss apps since I never had them, but there's the occasional place where they say to download their app to get a discount, so then I do miss out. This is going to take some getting used to, but I'm looking forward to it. I want to get rid of as many of Google's services as I can, though.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Hey Hop. Glad to see you post again. I think you will like the Pixel 2; had the original Pixel XL and loved it. Went with IOS for the solid OS and the ease of use. By the way, still have the cap I bought from you a few years ago. Hope you are doing well.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Having used both, Launcher 10 is a better representation of the W10m user interface than the Microsoft launcher. I think you will find outlook on android/iOS on to be somewhat lacking and eventually move on to other email handling clients.

-dunn

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
When I had my Pixel 2 I actually didn't care for MS Launcher, but preferred Launcher10. Thought it gave a pretty good look and feel of W10M with only a few shortcomings (live tile experience wasn't completely ideal)
However I ended up returning the Pixel 2 because well...I'm an ***** and keep going back to W10M like a bad ex-gf.

Grungni

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Microsoft phones for probably fifteen years - Windows CE (if I remember right), Windows Mobile, and Windows Phone. Last night I got tired of waiting. My nearly 4 year old Lumia Icon (wow, just looked up the launch date - the day I got it - and I didn't realize I was THAT close to 4 years!) has served me well. Since Microsoft is giving up, though, and hasn't let me get the latest insider builds on it, I finally decided that after two batteries have gone through it, I need a new phone. I decided on the Pixel 2.

I saw this thread (https://forums.windowscentral.com/a...ery-microsoft-windows-10-mobile-new-post.html), but since it is from last summer, and Microsoft has only improved their support of Android, I thought I'd ask the question.

I've got the Microsoft Launcher, and like it. I've got Cortana (I'm one of the people who talks to her - and has an Invoke in the living room as well), and of course the Office apps. Outlook is my mail app, Edge is my browser, OneDrive will have my pictures covered (I haven't taken any yet, though, so it's untested).

One issue is that I have the tap/hold home button set to Cortana, and if I say "Text my wife blah blah blah," it doesn't know who my wife is like my phone, or even my PC does. How do I fix that? Also, she says she'll send the text, but then when I look in the Messages app, it says the text didn't send, and I have to tap it to retry. How do I fix that?

Here's to venturing into a world where there are actually apps. I've been looking forward to PWAs, and I really didn't miss apps since I never had them, but there's the occasional place where they say to download their app to get a discount, so then I do miss out. This is going to take some getting used to, but I'm looking forward to it. I want to get rid of as many of Google's services as I can, though.
Download 'Microsoft Apps' from the Play Store, run it and choose the apps you want... The go to settings and change your default apps to Microsoft ones like Edge for browser and Cortana for your ai assistant...

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Use double sided tape or gaffer tape to connect a HP Elite X3 to the front, that way it is cushioned from breaking at the back. Only thing is the camera at the rear, hmmmmm??

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
When I had my Pixel 2 I actually didn't care for MS Launcher, but preferred Launcher10. Thought it gave a pretty good look and feel of W10M with only a few shortcomings (live tile experience wasn't completely ideal)
However I ended up returning the Pixel 2 because well...I'm an ***** and keep going back to W10M like a bad ex-gf.

That's because WM rules. X3, 950/xl, 640xl forever baby!

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site

HP Elite X3 best device.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
@hopmedic
With a steel toe capped boot :winktongue:, joking aside you may have to root the darn device to replace the services completely not to sure don't have much experience the Pixel 2.

In the address book, you may have to set up an alias or nickname for contacts and in regards to the text messages it may be an APN issue?

Also there is an Elite x3 Verizon variant now :winktongue:... albeit very, very late...

www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/hp-elite-x3-bundle/8wr4klx6m5gt/GQTF?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
A helpful review of Microsoft Launcher, with a tutorial as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7o2UAhMjGY

I'm in the same boat. I have been MS phone guy since my pre-order of the Lumia 920. My 1520 is dying before my eyes (it basically does what it wants at this point, and rarely what I want), and I cannot see replacing it with another WinPhone with MSFT's lack of commitment, and the fact that a good chunk of my apps don't even work most of the time anymore (it's been months since I could open my Kindle app with any regularity).

As such, I ordered a Galaxy S8+ that arrives tomorrow, and will be giving the options for MS fans a go (MS Launcher, Square home, Launcher 10, etc).

d1stort1on

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I recently picked up an S9 with the intention of sticking with MS stuff. (First Android phone - was using an iphone before).

Installed MS Launcher, Outlook for all email/contacts/calendar and the app as well. Cortana, etc. Seems like you can replace parts of everything with MS, but it ends up being so tacked on. I keep finding things that don't function using Outlook.com instead of Gmail for everything. Someone in a previous thread said they'd just thrown in the towel and gone Google, gotta admit I'm leaning that way. Things like Contacts not able to work in the Contacts app which then makes it not show up in the phone dialer. Using OK Google to do things, like "Call John," well, it doesn't work if the Contacts app can't sync the info from Outlook.com

As I play with things more, the really cool features and apps are written using Google ecosystems in mind, so sticking with MS means missing out on a lot of good stuff.

Anyway, cool phone overall. Android has been an interesting transition from iphone. Hopefully I'll figure out how I want to finally set everything up.

Stephen Pedersen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Things like Contacts not able to work in the Contacts app which then makes it not show up in the phone dialer. Using OK Google to do things, like "Call John," well, it doesn't work if the Contacts app can't sync the info from Outlook.com

As I play with things more, the really cool features and apps are written using Google ecosystems in mind, so sticking with MS means missing out on a lot of good stuff.

Anyway, cool phone overall. Android has been an interesting transition from iphone. Hopefully I'll figure out how I want to finally set everything up.
I linked my Outlook account with contacts. It worked fine for me. Google apps are okay. It's just that they ruin the experience because their apps are always listening in on what your doing and saying. For example, I went to Panera bread and ordered a blue berry scone while youtube was playing music. Next thing I know, YouTube is advertising blue berry scone recipes next time I logged in. I never once looked for any recipes. Meaning it's a bad time to be a paranoid schizophrenic. The only app that I really do enjoy is the Google podcast app which is relatively new.

My next phone will probably be an Apple because, because it doesn't sell you out as much as Android phones. I just want them to get their battery game improved.

nlm

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Another recommendation for Square Home2 here. You can even have the app drawer slide out alphabetically when swiping from the right. You can also swipe Cortana in from the left like the MS Launcher. Only thing with the launcher is that it does not play nice with live weather radar widgets.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's just that they ruin the experience because their apps are always listening in on what your doing and saying. For example, I went to Panera bread and ordered a blue berry scone while youtube was playing music. Next thing I know, YouTube is advertising blue berry scone recipes next time I logged in. I never once looked for any recipes.

That information was likely gotten from your location, not your voice. But either way, it can be freaky!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077