How Do I Get Lumia 950xl Firmware Updates?

Amos Beni

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
How Do I Get Lumia 950xl Firmware Updates

Would someone please advise how I can go about getting Lumia 950XL DS firmware updates. I bought my 950XL last December from Amazon Spain, but I am using it in Izmir, Turkey. I manage to get new OS builds through the insider fast ring. But I have never got any firmware updates despite my efforts. I have tried at least all the options that I read from some forums. Hard resetting several times, insider fast ring, production and WDRT but got nothing. Would it be that I can't get firmware updates because I am using the phone in Turkey? I really need the updates as I believe the many issues I am worried about with this phone are mainly due to firmware.

Thanks in advance

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: How Do I Get Lumia 950xl Firmware Updates

Please post the product code (059X___ inside battery cover) and I will verify, but sounds like a newer firmware isn't released yet for your device.

Where you are has nothing to do with it, as long as you have a connection to the internet.

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Would someone please advise how I can go about getting Lumia 950XL DS firmware updates. I bought my 950XL last December from Amazon Spain, but I am using it in Izmir, Turkey. I manage to get new OS builds through the insider fast ring. But I have never got any firmware updates despite my efforts. I have tried at least all the options that I read from some forums. Hard resetting several times, insider fast ring, production and WDRT but got nothing. Would it be that I can't get firmware updates because I am using the phone in Turkey? I really need the updates as I believe the many issues I am worried about with this phone are mainly due to firmware.

Thanks in advance

They last fw is .00027 for a CV spain.. So we must wait for last week .00038..

Amos Beni

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site

059X4W5 is the product code. Are the firmware updates specific to particular devices?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

There are specific firmware images for each model/region/carrier combination.

In the Windows Phone 8.1 days, there were over 2.500 variants of firmware across the range of Lumias

Amos Beni

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site

In my case the pc is 059X4W5. As you verify, also advise on what's the latest available firmware for this device...

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

There are specific firmware images for each model/region/carrier combination.

In the Windows Phone 8.1 days, there were over 2.500 variants of firmware across the range of Lumias
And this, in my view, is a big problem. Microsoft had the chance with the 950 and 950XL to make one device with one firmware worldwide, and it really seemed like that was what they were doing - until the devices shipped and we found differently.

There are by my counting at least 79 variants of 950, and at least 99 variants of the 950XL. There should instead be four: one of each for single and dual sim. How are they supposed to adequately develop and test anything, with this many different variants to keep track of?

By the way... I got tired of waiting and did something about it. See here.

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 does change things quite a bit in that there's more in the OS and less in the firmware. Hopefully we'll get to the stage where we only need carrier approval for whatever customisations they have to make individually.

Things have improved immeasurably over the last year.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The funny thing, if you can even call it that, is that the vast majority of these firmware variants are country specific, i.e. they are not tied to a specific operator. This is the reason we're down to 79/99 for the 950/XL rather than the thousands we faced for a single device in the WP days.

This also means the majority of these firmware versions are not operator tested at all (there were less than a handful actual operator-tied variants last I checked), but still Microsoft is lagging in the release of the latest firmware for certain (the majority of) regions. If there is one thing you'd have thought they'd have learnt by now is that people get antsy when they have purchased an unlocked/unbranded phone, outright, and still are the last ones in line to get updates.

Like PepperdotNet said, there should be four versions. One each. Then during setup they could sense the sim used and "brand" the phone that way, they already check the sim on setup to guess which language/region you'd like to use and they already run through a "just a little longer ... we're finishing installing some apps" process before you get to use the phone. If nothing else this'd save them a hell of a lot on overhead costs.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Still nothing on my country variant Spanish 950 or European 950 XL.
Nope, but if you were to change your variant to a different European one you'd get updated right away. 059X4S8 for the 950 and 059X522 for the XL for instance. You'd lose out on the preinstalled Spanish apps and you'd likely get some other perhaps even less interesting apps pre-installed, but they can all be removed so...

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site

Nope, but if you were to change your variant to a different European one you'd get updated right away. 059X4S8 for the 950 and 059X522 for the XL for instance. You'd lose out on the preinstalled Spanish apps and you'd likely get some other perhaps even less interesting apps pre-installed, but they can all be removed so...

I know I can change the product code but I can wait a little more. Thanks anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk