How do I lock the screen of a Windows tablet?

Andrew Brehm

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I have owned several Windows tablets over the years and I found that none of them would lock the screen without also falling asleep. How do I do the equivalent of pressing Windows-L without a keyboard?

Andrew Brehm

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I had several Windows tablets, some HP, some noname. Either way, none of them had a Windows-L since I used them as tablets without keyboard.

I found ways to stop Windows PCs to fall asleep after Windows-L but no way to "press" Windows-L without a keyboard. Hence the power button of the tablet is the only option and I found no way to stop that from sleeping the tablet.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I had several Windows tablets, some HP, some noname. Either way, none of them had a Windows-L since I used them as tablets without keyboard.

I found ways to stop Windows PCs to fall asleep after Windows-L but no way to "press" Windows-L without a keyboard. Hence the power button of the tablet is the only option and I found no way to stop that from sleeping the tablet.

This is a really silly question, but Windows has a virtual keyboard for tablets with no keyboard. You can use that to do Windows-L, surely?

Andrew Brehm

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
This is a really silly question, but Windows has a virtual keyboard for tablets with no keyboard. You can use that to do Windows-L, surely?

That's not really a quick way to do it. With a keyboard Windows-L is a shortcut. With the virtual keyboard it's not. It defeats the purpose of Windows-L if it requires as much work as going through the menus.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
That's not really a quick way to do it. With a keyboard Windows-L is a shortcut. With the virtual keyboard it's not. It defeats the purpose of Windows-L if it requires as much work as going through the menus.

Unfortunately then, if the link above I gave is also not useful, it may just be a flaw in how MS designed Windows 10 to run on tablets.

Andrew Brehm

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Does anything here help? If not, then unfortunately the limitation is most likely due to your device hardware.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/change-shut-down-button-log-lock-restart-sleep-etc

I have two Surface Pro 2 and one Surface 2. The other Windows tablets were two HP and some cheap ones.

None of them had "lock" as an option for the power button, only "shutdown", "sleep", and "turn off display" (which did not appear to lock the PC, just turn off the display).

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I have two Surface Pro 2 and one Surface 2. The other Windows tablets were two HP and some cheap ones.

None of them had "lock" as an option for the power button, only "shutdown", "sleep", and "turn off display" (which did not appear to lock the PC, just turn off the display).

I also have a Surface Pro 2.

The next thing I have found is this, I don't know if it works though.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/84631-enable-disable-lock-computer-windows.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99