How do I stop Cortana from reading text's aloud?

GazooAz

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
How do I stop Cortana from reading text's aloud? She ask's me if i want her to read a text which is fine in the office but in the car it shuts off my music and it don't start playing again like it did before and i have to manually start the music playing which is a pain on a motorcycle.

Running windows 10 mobile on a 1520

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hamburger menu - upper left corner on Cortana's screen. Choose "Notebook", then "Settings". Scroll down to where you can change "Read incoming text messages" to - Off, Always On, Bluetooth and Wired Headsets, or Bluetooth Only

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Before turning it off, you might want to try checking your Bluetooth settings... If you go to Settings > Bluetooth, there is a button for advanced options which shows a check box to connect in a different manner... This sometimes fixes issues with the readback of texts.

If that doesn't work and you want to turn it off... Settings > speech, then under "read aloud incoming text messages" you can change it to off, headsets, Bluetooth, etc.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If that doesn't work and you want to turn it off... Settings > speech, then under "read aloud incoming text messages" you can change it to off, headsets, Bluetooth, etc.

Just for clarity,

I believe he was asking these questions about Windows 10 mobile. The "Settings>speech" settings you're referring to are in WP8.1.

On Windows 10 mobile, the "read aloud incoming text messages" settings can only be reached through the method I posted above. (Cortana's hamburger menu)

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hamburger menu - upper left corner on Cortana's screen. Choose "Notebook", then "Settings". Scroll down to where you can change "Read incoming text messages" to - Off, Always On, Bluetooth and Wired Headsets, or Bluetooth Only

This has been driving me insane. Glad you could help me find that setting!

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for this, it was driving me crazy not being able to find it after upgrading to 10. I never thought to look in Cortana's settings since it wasn't there before in 8.1.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this, it was driving me crazy not being able to find it after upgrading to 10. I never thought to look in Cortana's settings since it wasn't there before in 8.1.

You're welcome!

Gotta love it when they move things around and hide stuff from users...

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Thank you fort this thread. It was driving me nuts and I could not find the damn setting since they moved it for no reason at all. :)

Bluetooth connections are handled worse and worse with each new version of Windows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire