How much do I need to spend on a laptop to expect 5yr of longevity?

Mr MnmlEngr

May 7, 2019
Visit site
Apologies if this is a commonly asked post, and feel free to direct me to previous answers...

I've owned 3 laptops in my adult life. The first was a Macbook that gave me a good 4 years, then a Samsung book 8 that I hated almost immediately. I currently own an HP Envy that is ok, but the hinge is starting to degrade, separating the screen from the frame. I don't travel with it much, so I was surprised.

I've never looked for the craziest specs, and as a result tend to look for hardware in the sub $1k price range (MacBook excepted). But I'm starting to wonder if that price point doesn't last as long.

So that leads me to my question. For a fairly average laptop (highest demand task is photo editing in Adobe Lightroom), am I expecting too much from a sub $1k laptop? Am I not buying the proper brands, or should I be investing in the extended care contract?

At the end of the day I just want a relatively affordable laptop that will give me a good 4 to 5 years before it starts degrading.

Thanks!

Mr MnmlEngr

May 7, 2019
Visit site
Really? So in theory a $2k laptop could degrade more quickly than a $400 laptop? Is there an expected lifespan of a laptop?

I just hate the idea of spending over $1k on a device and having to think about replacing it after two years. I don't expect that from my smartphones, why should my computer be any different?

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
Really? So in theory a $2k laptop could degrade more quickly than a $400 laptop? Is there an expected lifespan of a laptop?

I just hate the idea of spending over $1k on a device and having to think about replacing it after two years. I don't expect that from my smartphones, why should my computer be any different?

even smartphones don't wait four to five years before they start degrading. they may be usable but after a couple of years, you will start noticing issues. the exact same thing with laptops.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs