How much do you know but are not allowed to tell?

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey Dan! This is a tricky one to talk about but I want to try ask it anyway: How much do you know via your sources or rumours you hear about MS and their plans, but are not allowed to tell us?
Like, for example, the future of Windows 10 Mobile or the rumored "Surface Phone"?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hey Dan! This is a tricky one to talk about but I want to try ask it anyway: How much do you know via your sources or rumours you hear about MS and their plans, but are not allowed to tell us?
Like, for example, the future of Windows 10 Mobile or the rumored "Surface Phone"?

There are things we don't talk about or report because (1) We're trying to find more information about it to build it into a story (2) Corroborate the source and information.

It'd be annoying if every time we hear a bit or a rumor we did a story. Home Hub is a perfect example. That story was built over weeks of digging for info that lead to more and more. The result was a more complete story with much more detail than just saying "hey, they have this Home Hub idea".

Same goes for Surface phone. We hear bits, don't know if it's 100%, try to find out more. It's also a moving target e.g. things do change. I reported that the 950 and XL had smartcovers (I think I shared the images), those were legit something being worked on, but canceled at the last minute for unknown reasons.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
While we may never know why those cases never materialized - What are the chances that Microsoft's partnership with Mozo played a role in the decision?

Well, these cases were smart covers that showed had a circular opening for incoming calls so you could see their face thru the cover. May have used hall sensor to turn on/off display when opened and closed (Elite x3 has this too). Not sure about Mozo though, maybe it had some role, but they never made a similar case.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I think generally speaking these guys (the Mobile Nations bloggers) report anything they can to us, UNLESS, as Dan said they are still fact finding, OR unless they have specifically agreed not too. Sometimes when testing software or hardware you must sign an NDA (or Non Disclosure Agreement) which prohibited you from talking about it, or aspects of it for a period of time. I have not signed many, BUT I have signed a few. ;)

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Well, Dan mentioned if you want to buy a phone with W10M you should wait till MWC. So he knows that they will announce a phone with W10M there but didn't cover it in an article. I assume it's about the consumer phone by HP?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, Dan mentioned if you want to buy a phone with W10M you should wait till MWC. So he knows that they will announce a phone with W10M there but didn't cover it in an article. I assume it's about the consumer phone by HP?

You should have kept scrolling in that thread. Dan says that he hasn't heard any rumors of Windows 10 Mobile phone at MWC. He just suspects that there will be.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/as...e-lately-i-can-finally-ask-d.html#post3619086

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site

Maybe, BUT traditionally several new phones ARE announced at MWC, for example we expect that new BlackBerry from TCL, the code name "Mercury" to be officially announced/introduced. Maybe a new TCL/Alcatel Win phone is coming too? Idol 5? And I know NOTHING just 100% a guess! Certainly HP should be there and Microsoft.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Conversations like this are always fun. What are they not telling us? What are they not telling us that they can't tell us? Etcetera. I know Dan and the rest of the Mobile Nations team always has tips and information and rumors flowing through their workspace through texts, calls, emails, photos, tweets, maybe even meetings with physical devices (whether archaic or new) that they have to sift through and verify. Who knows how many files or Word documents Dan is keeping just archiving information in case it becomes relevant at a future date.
Or maybe he knows absolutely nothing and is just spouting stuff out of his nostril. Who knows? (;

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
WC was aware of the 950 a long time before they were announced. They knew everything about the devices and even published a render which (almost) exactly looked like the final phones.
They had to know about the 950/XL many weeks or maybe even months before they published their article about them. So they waited for MS to greenlight the article or they waited to check all the facts they had with enough sources.
Maybe Dan knows something specific about the Surface Phone already but can't tell us because he has a NDA or something

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
You should have kept scrolling in that thread. Dan says that he hasn't heard any rumors of Windows 10 Mobile phone at MWC. He just suspects that there will be.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/as...e-lately-i-can-finally-ask-d.html#post3619086
Microsoft is confirmed for MWC this year. The thought though is that they are not there to spread the new mobile phone HW but rather other items of interest. Although to be certain on their goal at the event we just need to wait and see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6