How to carrier unlock (activate) on Sprint

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a Nokia Lumia 635 (RM 1078) which I bought in NZ cheap as it is "failing to activate". It has Sprint branding on the back and while I have reloaded the WP8.1 OS via Windows Phone Recovery, it still fails to activate the cellular set up. WiFi is fine.

I contacted Sprint who can't/won't help because I'm not on one of their networks.

Anyone know how to unlock the carrier/cellular side of this phone? Happy to root and reload OS if only I could find a suitable link.
Note: this is NOT a SIM unlock and not a Microsoft Account activation issue.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We need more details please...

What country are you in? New Zealand?

What Carrier are you trying to use the phone on? Is it GSM or CDMA?

Are you sure the device isn't blacklisted? You can check that here: https://swappa.com/esn?ref=mobilenations&data1=UUwpUvbUpU3457566

For CDMA networks you most often have to get them to add your ESN/IMEI into their databases and many will not do that for other carrier's devices... For a SIM unlock it would be done through Sprint or a 3rd party Unlock service. If it is a Sprint branded device the SIM tray is locked by default. Did someone assure you the SIM tray was unlocked?

Can you dial ##7820# and see the carrier lock page? Does the padlock show as locked or unlocked?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Oliver Mould

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Yep, I'm in NZ and it’s a beautiful day.

I'm trying to use it on any one of Spark (Telecom), Vodafone or 2degrees. Ideally on LTE/4G.

Swappa is restricted and won't show details in NZ.

Dialling ##7820# simply results in Phone > waiting which I then have to cancel since, with or without a SIM card, it can’t dial out.

NB If I put in a local SIM card I am NOT asked to unlock it. The symptom manifests much earlier in the setup process. It will try to perform a Setting up connections We’re setting up your phone so it can connect to your carrier’s network… etc. Attempt: 1/6 (Cellular Unlock) immediately on restart which then fails with Activation Failed; and error code 0x80070584 after some minutes. This appears to be quite a common error code when I searched for it.

If I go to Settings > Activate Your Device I get Sorry we experienced a system problem during your task. Please dial 611 from your phone or call 1-866-402-7366 from a different phone and we will be happy to assist you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon