How two developers are keeping Surface Duo alive — with Windows 11 and Android 14

tom bae 2023

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site

Q-Less

Sep 26, 2020
Visit site
I would have bought a Duo on Windows right away. But I feel it would have been such a niche device. It would have been purchased by me and five others.

It's interesting to read about his challenges porting WoA though. So it's the UI on a small screen that causes so much grief.

Reactions: Cody Patterson

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
It already had Android - which no one wanted - and desktop Windows (not to mention the desktop Windows apps) is totally useless on such a small screen.

Good lord, let this poor thing die.

I realize there is this small group of people who think that "Windows in my pocket would be the ultimate thing". But then it always ends up like this: "I can just pull it out of my pocket and SOMEONE ELSE can provide the dock, monitor, mouse, keyboard, power supply and cables and voilà! Portable Desktop!" :rolleyes:

A laptop is less hassle. For everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

Kaymd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the good interview of these awesome guys. It always amazes me what individuals can accomplish while entire corporations seem to struggle with the same thing.
Reminds me of the passion behind the WinoMail project.

Reactions: Q-Less

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
It's not that "corporations seem to struggle". It's that corporations are doing it as a business. These 2 people are doing it as a hobby. If these 2 people lost a few billion dollars (or even a few thousand dollars) on this, they would give up too.

At some point, you are no longer interested in losing money by trying to create/support something that very few people want.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I think the biggest mistake is the device was with android . If it was with windows 10 x or windows mobile 10x - whatever the name is , that was the best of all .
Indeed, would have been an insta-buy for me as well but with android it was just another android phone. Still missing the email manage of Windows Mobile 10, nothing has come close.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital