I cannot see shared drive from windows 10 to windows 11

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I am trying to share a wired external drive from a Windows 10 pro 21h1 OS build 19043.1466 experience pack 120.2212.3920.0 and its driving me crazy. I am on Win11 home 21h2 build 22000.493.
I have turned on network discovery/password off/file and printer settings on both machines. (Private and guest or public)
The Win10 im trying to access is wired and set to a private network. I am trying to access on a wifi Win11.
I have changed SSDP Discovery, UPnP Device Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, and Function Discovery Provider Host to automatic.
I have allowed file and printer sharing in windows firewall.
My windows credentials on the 11pc:
Internet or network address: 192.168.1.205
User Name: Laptop
Password:xxxxxxx
If I understand this correctly, my IP on win11 is the network address. The user name is the name of my Win 11, Laptop.
The password to get into Win11 is xxxxxxx.
I have tried logging both computers to Microsoft with my email address.
I have tried setting the user name as the name of the computer, so its like this:
Internet or network name:Home
User Name: Home
Password:xxxxxxx
That's now in my credentials but it didn't work.

I was able to access the drive at one time, but a windows update disabled it. I am not sure, but I think I read that because its Ethernet based, that I have to enter the path like: \\WiFi name\password\\ip address of machine with shared drive\location of drive.
But I can no longer find this information and entering it gives me an error.
I checked the boxes for SMB 1.0 and verified that the sub categories were checked.
I have tried sharing the individual folders in the shared drives, but I still cannot see them.
I've restarted both computers and am still getting an error when I use troubleshooting shared drive.
I have disabled my VPN.
What am I doing wrong here?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3