Question I'm trying to remove password requirements and its driving me mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingablo

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm really hoping someone can help me here because I'm about to explode from the frustration. I have windows 10 pro, 64 bit, currently version 21H2, though the problem was also on 22H2. I have a custom PC with a ryzen 5 2600 cpu, 16GB of Ram, an Rx580 gpu, and a my OS is installed on a 256GB SSD. I think this is all the information that's needed. Please let me know if there is anything else. I've included a bunch of screengrabs here:
Four days ago, after installing update 22h2. My computer gave me a prompt to change the password on my local account before I logged in. My original password was just 5 numbers. It was simple because I have young kids and wanted to maintain a bit of security while still letting them log in (the password to the admin account was and is complex and did not change, nor does it need too).

I was away for a while so today I attempted to change the password back to something simple and have been constantly stymied by the error message:

"The password you entered doesn't meet the requirements, try one that's longer or more complex".

I've been able to solve most of my tech problems by just looking up the answer and following some online instructions, so I gave it a shot. Four hours and over a dozen failed solutions later and I've all but given up. Here's the broad strokes of what I've tried.

1. Rolling back the update to 21h2 (same error message).
  2. Removing passwords altogether via netplwiz (no check box).
    a) Going into regedit and changing the device password key value from 2 to 0 did not restore the box.
  3. Using the command prompt to change to a simple password (same error message).
    a) By leaving the password section blank and typing (C:Windows\system32>net user "user" "") I was actually able to remove the password entirely so login is automatic - but this is not ideal.
  4. Going into the group policy editor and changing "password must meet complexity requirements" to "disabled" (nothing changed, same error message).
    a) It was actually already disabled.
    b) I did force it to update via "gpupdate/force" in the elevated command prompt and restarted my machine but there was no effect.
    c) Enabling complexity requirements but setting minimum passwords length to 4 characters, enabling "Relax minimum password length limits" (nothing changed with any combination).
  5. Going into the local security policy and changing "password must meet complexity requirements" to "disabled" (nothing changed, same error message).
    a) This was also disabled by default.
    b) I read somewhere that a domain control may overwrite group policy editor but this is a personal version of windows 10 pro and there is no domain controller.
    c) I even installed the active directory administrative center to check b).
  6. Trying to disable windows hello because I heard this requires password requirements it by default but windows hello wasn't enabled in the first place (nothing).
  7. Trying to change the password via computer management (same error message).
  8. Logging in with a Microsoft account rather than a local account (didn't change anything)
    a) I was grasping at straws by this point.
  9. Needless to say I have restarted and rebooted my PC and few times during this process.
Please tell me there's something stupid I've missed. I've been unable to let this go all afternoon. I won't call it a total loss because I kinda enjoy the puzzle solving aspect of troubleshooting and I've learned a bit about my PC but now I just want it to be over.

Last edited:
Reactions: interlocutor1980
Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
Oh, you come across lots of technical exercise just because of some password glitch. It's maybe because your password is not much complex according to the requirements that's why it happens.
I suggest you for system files check first. Open "Command Prompt" as admin and write "sfc /scannow" hit enter and allow it to complete and then restart your computer. Upon restart Open "Microsoft Edge" and log in to your Microsoft account and try to change your password.

If this will not work, then try on some other computer and login your Microsoft account and change your password then come back to this compute and Sign in.

I shall wait for your reply and give you company to solve this puzzle don't you worry... :)

mingablo

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
Oh, you come across lots of technical exercise just because of some password glitch. It's maybe because your password is not much complex according to the requirements that's why it happens.
I suggest you for system files check first. Open "Command Prompt" as admin and write "sfc /scannow" hit enter and allow it to complete and then restart your computer. Upon restart Open "Microsoft Edge" and log in to your Microsoft account and try to change your password.

If this will not work, then try on some other computer and login your Microsoft account and change your password then come back to this compute and Sign in.

I shall wait for your reply and give you company to solve this puzzle don't you worry... :)
Hi Interlocutor, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, this is a local account, not a microsoft account. The kids don't have Microsoft accounts.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi mingablo - quick question.... did you try setting up your Windows Hello PIN on the computer under 'Sign-in Options'? It sounds like you had it set up before, but the 22H2 update removed it and it has to be set up again. Once you've set that PIN, that's all that will be needed to log-in.
12.PNG

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi Interlocutor, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, this is a local account, not a microsoft account. The kids don't have Microsoft accounts.
This may be a local account, but in order to register/activate Windows, it must be verified with a MS account. Your kids may not have accounts, but someone did to register the OS. If you log in with that account, you can change the password there and try logging into the PC with the updated password. Then you can turn on your Hello PIN for the kids to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos