In defense of Red Dead Redemption 2's realism

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
red-dead-redemption-2-gunplay.jpg

Red Dead Redemption 2 is the largest entertainment opening of all time, taking over $700 million dollars in its first weekend. Its popularity hasn't been without controversy.
Red Dead Redemption 2, set in the closing years of the Wild West. While the myths surrounding this time period have become exaggerated and romanticised via Hollywood and other mediums, it wasn't so long ago that all historical records of life in those times has been erased. Red Dead Redemption 2's story takes place through a lens of realism-meets-romanticism, with a side order of good gameplay over historical accuracy.
That said, there's a growing chorus across commentators that Red Dead Redemption 2's gameplay errs too close on the side of realism, to the point where you can even complete chores in your gang's campsite to make people view you more favourably. I've read lamentations that the gunplay is too slow or "clunky," and even that Red Dead Redemption 2 is too big, even.
Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but big entertainment releases (the world's biggest, ever, reportedly) often come with a chorus of contrarianism that seem forced and overthought. In any case, I want to express my sincere gratitude to Rockstar for taking the time to build a game world that delivers something increasingly rare in games today, that of immersion.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos