Indiana Jones and the Great Circle gets a release date on Xbox Series X

fatpunkslim

Feb 3, 2024
Visit site
When Google releases a game on another platform, 5 exclusive games enter the Xbox ecosystem. And then don't forget that it's Disney behind Indiana Jones (which is what the article fails to mention), so it's not really Xbox that decides in this specific case.

In any case, it's great that Xbox clearly announces in advance the few games that will be released on other platforms, it avoids rumors and unnecessary assumptions.

And it's great for playstation players, even if Xbox players can still play it day one for "free" (gamepass) and 6 months before. For Xbox nd microsoft, it's also a big win, xbox players have still a great advantage and playstation players can help to finance gamepass and future xbox exclusives.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
When Google releases a game on another platform, 5 exclusive games enter the Xbox ecosystem. And then don't forget that it's Disney behind Indiana Jones (which is what the article fails to mention), so it's not really Xbox that decides in this specific case.

In any case, it's great that Xbox clearly announces in advance the few games that will be released on other platforms, it avoids rumors and unnecessary assumptions.

And it's great for playstation players, even if Xbox players can still play it day one for "free" (gamepass) and 6 months before. For Xbox nd microsoft, it's also a big win, xbox players have still a great advantage and playstation players can help to finance gamepass and future xbox exclusives.

I appreciate the optimistic view and defense of Microsoft's strategy. I too hope they find success in it, but the simple fact that so many Xbox players reaction is, "Why should I buy an Xbox if Sony has exclusives plus gets all the Xbox games too? So what if it's a few months behind?" puts MS behind on its back foot.

The only time a significant number of people consider changing consoles is when they upgrade. They don't throw out the PS4 and buy an Xbox One, but they might hold onto the PS4 and buy an Xbox Series X instead of buying a PS5. Or, conversely, hold onto their Xbox One and buy a PS5.

Releasing expected Xbox bragging-right exclusives on PlayStation alienates the loyal Xbox fans and users by causing them to second guess their purchase decision -- the worst thing you can do to a customer. It's one of the reasons there are so many ads on TV for products like cars that aren't purchased very often. They're not just to sell new products, but also to reassure existing customers that they made a good choice so they're likely to stick with that brand at their next purchase, even if it's years away.

What MS is doing is likely to lead to customers choosing NOT to buy Xbox at the next generation and to instead buy the PS6. This is not based on my opinion but the reactions we're all hearing from so many of the previously Xbox faithful. Therefore, MS' strategy appears to be pushing customers to PS. Not now, but at their next generational upgrade when they have a choice to make.

fatpunkslim

Feb 3, 2024
Visit site
I appreciate the optimistic view and defense of Microsoft's strategy. I too hope they find success in it, but the simple fact that so many Xbox players reaction is, "Why should I buy an Xbox if Sony has exclusives plus gets all the Xbox games too? So what if it's a few months behind?" puts MS behind on its back foot.

The only time a significant number of people consider changing consoles is when they upgrade. They don't throw out the PS4 and buy an Xbox One, but they might hold onto the PS4 and buy an Xbox Series X instead of buying a PS5. Or, conversely, hold onto their Xbox One and buy a PS5.

Releasing expected Xbox bragging-right exclusives on PlayStation alienates the loyal Xbox fans and users by causing them to second guess their purchase decision -- the worst thing you can do to a customer. It's one of the reasons there are so many ads on TV for products like cars that aren't purchased very often. They're not just to sell new products, but also to reassure existing customers that they made a good choice so they're likely to stick with that brand at their next purchase, even if it's years away.

What MS is doing is likely to lead to customers choosing NOT to buy Xbox at the next generation and to instead buy the PS6. This is not based on my opinion but the reactions we're all hearing from so many of the previously Xbox faithful. Therefore, MS' strategy appears to be pushing customers to PS. Not now, but at their next generational upgrade when they have a choice to make.
You are confusing the reactions of xbox players with the reactions of anti-xbox trolls, who, for some, pose as xbox players.

And then, don't forget that the people who follow video game news closely are very few compared to the mass of players. It's not these few reactions on the web that influence the majority of players.

True Xbox fans know very well the games that are released on Xbox and on gamepass, and they can only enjoy it. They know very well the line-up planned for 2024-2025, and they know very well the poverty of the PlayStation line up. They know very well that the best choice for the next generation is the Xbox ecosystem with all the games to come. Xbox already has more exclusive games than PlayStation, it's just facts!

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
You are confusing the reactions of xbox players with the reactions of anti-xbox trolls, who, for some, pose as xbox players.

And then, don't forget that the people who follow video game news closely are very few compared to the mass of players. It's not these few reactions on the web that influence the majority of players.

True Xbox fans know very well the games that are released on Xbox and on gamepass, and they can only enjoy it. They know very well the line-up planned for 2024-2025, and they know very well the poverty of the PlayStation line up. They know very well that the best choice for the next generation is the Xbox ecosystem with all the games to come. Xbox already has more exclusive games than PlayStation, it's just facts!

I don't know who you're referencing, but the market data don't support that view of customer behavior, at least not en masse. I don't think it matters who "true Xbox fans" are or what their preferences are, beyond their role as fans to positively influence and promote the brand to others. I have written about the importance to supporting loyal customers, because it's more cost effective for a company to take care of its fans and leverage their loyalty to promote the brand, but beyond that, their being "true fans" serves no business purpose to the company.

There clearly are benefits to MS in terms of individual game by also making games available on PS. That's why they're doing it. They will clearly sell more copies of Indiana Jones by also making it available on PS. However, there are also negatives. The fact that MS is getting beaten up by its fans in the media is not a trivial negative. That hurts their business.

Now, what is hard to know ahead of time is: do the positive sales to PS players outweigh the impact of the negative market reaction to dropping exclusivity on their first-party games. I suspect the answer is yes in the short term (they'll see some short-term wins in terms of software sales) and no in the long-run (as they lose market share to Sony in the next generation of consoles, where the exclusivity could have made a huge difference in their favor).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adcgjml