Question Interpretation of the Battery graph in Windows 11

sanju_dp

Feb 27, 2024
Visit site
I have seen that the Windows 11 Battery graph is showing the battery levels for the hours my laptop was actually switched off / in hibernate.
What exactly doe s this mean? Please refer the screenshot. It was hibernated between 8PM yesterday and 10 AM today.
1709015779542.png

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi sanju-dp,

I'm not sure what your question is, but even when a device is in 'hibernation' mode, there can be some processes that still run intermittently. The device isn't fully "off", but in a low power usage state that saved your last settings. From the chart you posted, it shows low power usage (hibernation) up until it was brought back up to fully running at around 10am where the battery was seeing more usage/drain. If it was plugged in during hibernation - you may want to check with the manufacturer's website to see if your BIOS is up to date. Since Windows 11 was released, there have been lots of reports of power drain when in hibernation and plugged in. The techs seem to always point to the BIOS in those instances.

Not sure if that was your question, but let me know...

sanju_dp

Feb 27, 2024
Visit site
Hi sanju-dp,

I'm not sure what your question is, but even when a device is in 'hibernation' mode, there can be some processes that still run intermittently. The device isn't fully "off", but in a low power usage state that saved your last settings. From the chart you posted, it shows low power usage (hibernation) up until it was brought back up to fully running at around 10am where the battery was seeing more usage/drain. If it was plugged in during hibernation - you may want to check with the manufacturer's website to see if your BIOS is up to date. Since Windows 11 was released, there have been lots of reports of power drain when in hibernation and plugged in. The techs seem to always point to the BIOS in those instances.

Not sure if that was your question, but let me know...
Actually my question was to understand how come the graph is having battery levels for the duration, it was switched off / hibernated. (The same graph is seen for switched off duration as well). Secondly, what explanation you have given is not agreeable. When processor is completely powered off, HDD is totally powered, off, RAM is also powered off, which electronics is running the processes?

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi sanju_dp,
You didn't say it was fully powered off - you said you put the device in "hibernation" mode and there is a difference between the two states. Depending upon the settings things like the network card, HDMI ports, or USB ports can still be powered in that state. Again - I have no idea what device you have, but I would suggest you take a look at this forum discussion as there is a lot of great (and still fully valid) information explaining the different states and how power can still be drawn during hibernation.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria