iPhone 6: What I dearly miss from the big guy, Nokia 1520

Potzy2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It was with a heavy heart that I went to my local ATT store and bought an iPhone 6. My 1520 had been on the fritz for months, and even after going to the MS store and having them take a look at it, it finally became unusable. Apps would spontaneously launch, the screen was unresponsive at least for half the day, and it would reboot in the middle of a call. There was nothing that was close to the 1520 that I wanted to waste a 2-year contract on. I figured, I'd still get a lot of MS apps over on iOS, and if I hated it then I could tough it out and hand it off to my wife when the Windows 10 phones arrive. This is my first iPhone, so I really did come into it blind. The only other operating system I had used before was Android, and I wasn't going back to that mess. So here is my purely anecdotal comparisons when my 1520 was at peak fighting shape:

Build:

This one is tough. The iPhone feels great in the hand. The edges are rounded perfectly and there is enough travel on the volume and power keys. My 1520's keys were always flush with the frame and it made manipulating them difficult at times. But, even though it feels well built, going from the 1520, it feels fragile. I hate putting covers on a device, but I got the bumper for this because I felt like I had to. It is light as a feather, and this may be why I think it could crack like an egg.

The 1520 is harder to hold, because it is ridiculously bigger and the edges dig into your finger. It squared off in every way and feels like a slab of marble, but I never once felt the need to put a case on it. If it fell off the bed, I didn't blink. It has a warm feeling compared to the coldness of the iPhone. I thought once I went big, there is no going back, but I like having room in my pocket, and being able to bend my legs. I don't wear skinny jeans and I'm 5'10 and 150, so pretty average. However, I always knew the 1520 was there, the iPhone, I can kind of forget about it for a while.

Screen

Not even close. the 1520's color, vibrancy, feel, etc. is better in every way and I am reminded of this every time I power on the iPhone. Scrolling is easier on the 1520 as well.

Speaker

This one goes to the iPhone. It sounds clearer, cleaner and louder.

Camera

For good enough to great enough fast shots, iPhone wins. Even with the dedicated camera button, which I miss and should be standard on every phone, I can still get the iPhone up and out faster than the 1520. If you take a lot of photos in the auto-mode then the iPhone does a better job giving you a consistent shot. As far as photo quality goes, the iPhone algorithm makes shots look vibrant, but as far pas post-editing, I could do so much more with the 1520. Night shots are also a big advantage for the 1520. The iPhone is decent at Night, but not great or rarely good.

Battery Life

1520 easily. I really had to download a bunch of crap or use GPS for me to need to reach for my charger nightly. IPhone 6 I need to charge it nightly. It'll get me through 18 hours, but come midnight, the battery is looking more like a pumpkin than a carriage.

Operating system basics

IOS is a "whack-a-mole approach to apps. I am constantly jumping in and out to get things done. The app switcher helps alleviate this some, and WP 8.1 is sadly heading into that direction. The biggest thing I miss on a daily basis is how WP deals with contacts. Having all their online profiles, email, pictures linked in the People hub is amazing, and when you go to iOS it feels like getting out a concrete address book. It is static, stale, and uninspiring. It makes you not want to contact people.

The only benefit of having a static grid of icons vs. live tiles, is I don't spend as much time staring at phone screen. Being able to tell what a quick message said or post without opening it is nice. Yes, I realize the toast notifications and drop down tray do this, but it is still a small step, but live tiles felt like a forward progression, and frankly they look a hell of a lot nicer. I also like scrolling down a list instead of across, but it could be what I a used too.

Touch ID works, and it works well. It, so far, has never missed a read. I miss tap to awake and the peek mode, but since touch id is so fluid it is a draw.

One thing that is glaring on iOS is the apps. Yes, you have everyone you can think of and want and not want, but they are littered with adds. WP's Facebook, Twitter, etc. never had any ads, at least I never noticed. I guess that is a benefit of 3% market share. Still, Nokia Here is available (and Google and Apple maps), as well as, MS Office suite, Bing, and One Drive. Ditto for Smartglass and Xbox music, which really doesn't seem that bad compared to the official version which I continually have problems with. No Xbox video though, and this is a bummer. Yup, all the "official" apps are here, and in many cases offer more functionality, but in a few they offer less (i.e. Metrotube). Additionally, accessing your phone via PC, well this one has to go to iOS. The WP phone app is horrible, clumsy, and since the update never, ever works. ITunes is pathetic, but at least it functions.

Siri vs Cortana

Siri sucks once you've dated Cortana. Cortana is charming, witty, and useful. If Cortana is Emma Stone, Siri is a Kardashian. Looks nice, but vapid and shallow. "Hey, Siri" only work if it is plugged in, and can be utilized as an app launcher for Xbox Music, anything else requires you to use iTunes. My wife mentioned she has never used Siri, and I can see why.

Overall

Do I love the iPhone like I did my 1520? No, but I've gotten used to it quickly and it is more than serviceable. If you need a basic phone that does bit more and you want a plug and play experience then the iPhone takes it. Almost everyone I know has an iPhone so Facetime is easier to get them to use than Skype. I no longer have to walk my wife through using my phone when she needs to operate it in the car, and I have my pocket back. Making actual phone calls is easier and more comfortable and most of the Windows apps I need or want are available. But every time I want a better virtual assistant, see a bit more, be wowed by the OS, I miss WP.

isi mcf

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
nice observations, My cousin has jumped from android > WP > android > to wp > Ios
He direly misses WP but wants to wait until win10. Every OS has its ups and downs, you you've confirmed im keeping my 1520 for quite awhile!

Potzy2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
One thing I forgot to mention. The keyboard on ios is horrible compared to WP. The Swiftkey keyboard makes it palpable, but still a step back.

vw412fan

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for posting this.

Been looking at picking up a 1520 [smashed my 920 :( ]

Was an Apple die-hard for years, somehow got lured in to Windows Phone (combination of prepaid service and the cheap 520) and now I'm hooked.

Been messing with my kid's iPod lately, to see what I've been missing. Man is iOS frustrating without a back button!! And to think I made fun of Windows Phone because of those three buttons on the bottom.. I use them all the time now.

Thanks again for the comparison. :)

Ask Sonnie

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Camera

For good enough to great enough fast shots, iPhone wins. Even with the dedicated camera button, which I miss and should be standard on every phone, I can still get the iPhone up and out faster than the 1520. If you take a lot of photos in the auto-mode then the iPhone does a better job giving you a consistent shot. As far as photo quality goes, the iPhone algorithm makes shots look vibrant, but as far pas post-editing, I could do so much more with the 1520. Night shots are also a big advantage for the 1520. The iPhone is decent at Night, but not great or rarely good.

Even after the Denim update, 1520 camera still falls behind iOS?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Even after the Denim update, 1520 camera still falls behind iOS?

IMHO, There are two camps on cell phone photography:
  1. Quick and easy... iOS excels at this
  2. Powerful Manipulations... Lumia's forte

Which suits you is a matter of personal preference.
  1. Have kids running around and need to capture "precious moments" before they disappear or do you do a lot of action shots at the spur of the moment? iOS is probably best then - fast camera deployment and balanced auto settings for most day-to-day situations
  2. Not in a hurry? Want to compose your shots? Like experimenting with different manual settings? Need High Res images for cropping in? Do you like doing lots of post shot edits? Need lossless DNG files to manipulate repeatedly? Lumia is probably best then - Nokia was long an innovator in the cell phone camera arena, pushing the boundaries of what a cell phone camera can do. The upper end of the Lumia line still upholds that.

That is not to say there isn't some cross over, but there are two different main theories at work here. Each does not work equally well for all users.

Potzy2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree. Yes, even after the Denim Update it is still not as fast. Post-editing is where iOS falls short.

Montpbm

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree, but wait till W10 come out, I had I on my 1520 and it I INSTANT, yes as fast as the IPhone camera I kid you not.

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I agree, but wait till W10 come out, I had I on my 1520 and it I INSTANT, yes as fast as the IPhone camera I kid you not.

hope you are not raising expectations in vain because that is something ,i bet, every L1520 owner wants. By the way i saw size-shifting keyboard in one of those videos showing win10 on 1520, do you see it?

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm I've got the fast ring w10 tp on my 1520 and it is no where near instant. The os needs work. When you've got the lg g4 and the gs6 - they're fast as lightening and very very good (indeed the latter phones are a par for the venerable 1520 and can catch kids running about!!!). Indeed the iphone 6 plus is fantastic too, ois makes a massive difference and I dare say it's better than the standard iphone.

The 1520 is fantastic but it's issues won't just be addressed by a software update.

That said the phone is still a beast (I purchased mine in Nov 2013) and I'm lucky in that I can buy, and do buy, every flagship that comes out. I still roll out the 1520 because it is such a solid device and am glad the os is finally catching up to the promise of such fantastic hardware. Now of msft can finally add support for openvpn (something they cut in wp7 but the older os had, windows mobile was brilliant) then I'll be happy!!!

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd suggest getting an Apple TV to go with the iPhone. Airplay is what I missed most when I went over to WP.

I agree about the people app. It's what makes WP 8.1. I have fears that Microsoft may ruin the people app going forward as they have been slowly stripping away what made it great. Oh, and being able to pin people as live tiles is a fantastic on WP. All the notifications and communications bubble up to that tile.

Potzy2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm already so invested in MS ecosystem (Office, Surface 3, Xbox One, Music, etc.) that I'd hate to reinvest in another ecosystem, although my wife would probably like that. I'm hoping the next flagship (whenever that'll be) will fix some of the issues.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm already so invested in MS ecosystem (Office, Surface 3, Xbox One, Music, etc.) that I'd hate to reinvest in another ecosystem, although my wife would probably like that. I'm hoping the next flagship (whenever that'll be) will fix some of the issues.

Xbox music and Office are on Android & IOS right now, and are much more polished on there too, than they are here on Windows Phone

But that's going to change soon

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Xbox music and Office are on Android & IOS right now, and are much more polished on there too, than they are here on Windows Phone.

I'm curious. Do you know this from using those apps on Apple and Android or are you just making a claim that they are more polished?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious. Do you know this from using those apps on Apple and Android or are you just making a claim that they are more polished?

Yes I have a spare android.

And I have family members with iPhone 6's and iPads and I occasional play around with those

I haven't tried the WHOLE ENTIRE MS suite on the other platforms but yes I completely feel Xbox Music and Office are better on Android & ios than they are on Windows Phone, especially Xbox Music. The whole design & UI is just much better. Xbox Music on the other platforms is much more in line with the smoothness, and consistency that Xbox Music has in the full Windows App on tablets, and PC's.

Office on Windows Phone is just really mediocre right now to me. It's very limiting compared to the android/ios counterparts

Although I will say OneNote & OneDrive are much better on Windows Phone to me. OneNote on Android feels very cluttered IMO

But Office and Xbox Music are supposed to be getting upgrades with Windows 10, and should be on par if not better than their cross platform versions.

Just My Opinions

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a more unique place. I have a 1520 as my personal phone and an iPhone 6+ was issued to me for my work phone.

There are good and bad points to both phones but overall, I still love my 1520 over the iPhone.

I have not owned an iPhone since the release of the original iPhone way back in the day. To me, not too much has changed. Nothing but icons and frustrating usage. The process of putting a custom ringtone on the iPhone (not downloaded from iTunes) about made me lose it. Trying to navigate the app market on the phone is frustrating with the limited results you get back when looking at apps and games. You can't uninstall apps that you don't use that come son the device (like Android). I mean, no way in hell I am paying for an iWatch, I don't need it, but I can't get rid of it on my screens (at least on android, I can relegate it to the app drawer). So I have an icon drawer with all of those apps in them. There is a lot more I don't like about it, but all in all, there are a few things I do like about it.

The fingerprint thingy. Yeah, I like that. The notification pull down. You get Today on it and on another "tab" shows your notification. Kinda like Cortana's today, but easier to access.The Bluetooth Battery indicator. THIS, I love. You can see the battery level if your BT device.

Ok, so I had a lot more to complain about than I liked. Overall though, for productivity use, I have to say that the iPhone holds up pretty well, but for a personal preference, I will keep my personal phone a Windows Phone.

InspectHerGadget

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I have owned my 1520 since about this time last year. I do love it. The battery life is amazing and it the tiles are way better than iOS. I don't have blinkers on though. It sometimes seems to me Windows Phone is dying here in Australia. Since last year there is less choice of WP here in Australia and the 1520 has to be imported from Hong Kong, no one sells it here.

I had the iPhone 5 before and really liked it but the interface is really stale. I run a business and I have a different folder/tile for each account and I can see notifications right away. Much easier. The iPhone needs an interface refresh although they keep building in different ways of accessing things, it is time for a major overhaul.

I hope with Windows 10, Microsoft get Windows Phone going again. It just seems to have died in the arse here in the land down under.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes I have a spare android.

And I have family members with iPhone 6's and iPads and I occasional play around with those

I haven't tried the WHOLE ENTIRE MS suite on the other platforms but yes I completely feel Xbox Music and Office are better on Android & ios than they are on Windows Phone, especially Xbox Music. The whole design & UI is just much better. Xbox Music on the other platforms is much more in line with the smoothness, and consistency that Xbox Music has in the full Windows App on tablets, and PC's.

Office on Windows Phone is just really mediocre right now to me. It's very limiting compared to the android/ios counterparts

Although I will say OneNote & OneDrive are much better on Windows Phone to me. OneNote on Android feels very cluttered IMO

But Office and Xbox Music are supposed to be getting upgrades with Windows 10, and should be on par if not better than their cross platform versions.

Just My Opinions

One of the things I did on my work iPhone is turn off all of the iCloud stuff and whatnot and just use MS Office, Outlook, OneDrive and other services to keep from spreading all of my stuff everywhere.

I don't like the fact that Outlook does not sync contacts to the phone's contacts. The Outlook Calendar is ugly and a mess (all day activities, especially those marked free (like people's vacations and whatnot) compress my daily view to unusable proportions). OneDrive is great though.

In order for me to get everything on my device as I need it, I have to use Outlook to use Corp Email (better than the built in email), built in Calendar and Contacts (just don't sync email).

It is a little bit of a mess, but I get things they way I want them this way.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I always see many complaints about OneNote on WP. I rather like it but I mostly just use it to consume notes I build in other places.

Perhaps with Windows 10 and the 940 XL having pen support we will have a more full featured OneNote.

Potzy2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, Office on iOS is a lot nicer and has more features than the Windows counterpart, which is just shameful really.