IS it still possible to do a New Win 10 Pro installation using the Installation Media Tool?

Redditit

Aug 9, 2021
Visit site
I've tried unsuccessfully to create a new installation of Win 10 Pro using the Media Creation tool. Machine is Lenovo Yoga C740 i5 8GB with SSD. Doesn't make any difference what machine it is - i've tried it on another PC as well. I can ONLY create a Win 10 HOME version.
It seems that Microsoft has now fenced in the "create installation media" sw and only allows a Windows 10 edition as choice. You can no longer pick which version you want installed. I think they did this to prevent people from buying the OEM licences to install WIn Pro on the cheap.
So in effect it seems that steps 5 thru 10 on the "Using RUFUS technique" falls away and is now useless.
If anyone knows how to install a version of Win Pro with the latest "Create Media sw" I'd really appreciate it.

waqqas31

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Did you try this:

To get the list of available Windows 10 editions during Windows Setup, follow the steps below.

Open Notepad and paste the following lines in it.

[Channel]
Retail

Save the file as “ei.cfg”. Be sure to use double-quotes when saving the file, to avoid double-extension — e.g., ei.cfg.txt, which is incorrect. This is a crucial step.
Move the file ei.cfg to the Sources folder of your Windows 10 USB setup disk.

Source:
https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-10-setup-editions-not-shown-clean-install/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb