Is Surface Go good to replace Lumia 950XL?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I currently use a 950XL as my mobile Windows platform of choice but as we all know these things will not last much longer. I'm considering a Surface Go to cover my Windows needs on the go and to be able to run my Windows apps. It is a fair bit larger, but that seems pretty unavoidable. I hope I will still be able to use it whilst out and about, as finding a decent smaller device seems pretty impossible as far as I can see (do let me know of any alternatives that run Windows well if you know any). I am not thinking to get an LTE version as it won't make phone calls so I'll get a Nokia dumb phone with 4G and tethering for that. Better than swapping sims all the time. So, would this be the best solution for Windows whilst out and about? What difficulties have you folks found that I will need to find work arounds for? Is this device as portable and easy to handle as suggested by MS and reviewers? Will it be fast enough to offer a decent upgrade over my 950XL or will it feel sluggish by comparison (some reviews do complain about speed a bit)? I do intend to get the 8G/128G version. Feedback from actual users who have made the switch would be great before I spend out a large chunk on this thing.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I have both devices. Don't get the 4 G RAM version GO. When i open 5 of my work tabs on any browser, open Spotify, open a Word doc, and a couple of other apps like Instagram. or Whatsapp (my daily set up), my GO memory is maxed out, red lining at 98%. Im regretting not paying extra a getting more RAM....

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Sluggish depends on how you plan on using the it. I use my Go for basic productivity and some remote desktop. For that I find performance to be excellent. I use Office, and Firefox (I only have Chrome installed for work), and occasionally I use Affiity Photo, and I haven't had a problem. Though I guess if you were comparing a Go to a decent smartphone then it would feel sluggish. Apps appear to load much faster on my (now aging) V20, but that's likely always going to be the case when comparing desktop to smartphone apps.

I'd say the Go is more than a solid choice for Windows on the... go. Sadly, there aren't too many Windows tablets period to recommend a solid Surface Go competitor that isn't a Chuwi device. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any good/great mid-range tablets from Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc. There are some fabulous 2-in-1s out there, but few pure tablets.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by xxXTechcr3xx
Why do you think a 2-in-1 can replace your mobile phone?

I need a platform for my Windows apps on the go to replace my L950XL. Phone calls, texts, tethering and pocket diary will be covered by a dumb-ish phone with good battery, so looking at a Nokia for that (I like the look of that Matrix style one...). I have an original Toshiba Encore Atom tablet from the W8 days (now with W10) but that is very slow indeed and does not compete well with my Lumia. Hoping the Surface Go won't be too big for i.e. on the bus/at the bus stop, will also be great in hotels when travelling for work, and will be a performance upgrade from my Lumia. I fear it'll be slower than my Lumia and/or too bulky despite the low weight. Also, there could be other problems I'm not considering. Hoping people here with experience of making the switch now the Lumia line is heading for the door can give me the benefit of their experience.

cknobman

Banned
Jul 23, 2018
Visit site
When you say "apps" do you mean from the app store?
I found a lot of my phone apps were not available on the pc.

Honestly all of the Microsoft apps are available on Android and most other apps are there too, if not, even better alternatives are.

I love my Surface Go but dont ever see it as a replacement for a phone.
Its a great small portable computer to do light work on and a great device for web surfing.

If you are trying to emulate a phone experience get a Note 9 (I have one) download the Microsoft Launcher and suite of apps. The Note 9 also has Dex which will emulate a desktop experience as well.
Note 9 is the best phone I've ever owned and light years better than my 950xl ever was.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
See above for my response. If you have an alternative Windows platform device you think would better suit, please let me know.

I think that the Windows device best suited for this is still very poorly suited. There are plenty of mobile devices that can directly replace your Lumia, but not on the Windows platform.

I doubt you're going to find very much help doing this exact thing, because mobile phones are seldom replaced with a tablet. I would be surprised if more than a relative few people would have done this. Most Windows phone users leaving the platform switch to iPhone or Android. You're probably going to have to figure it out by trial and error, and then you can help someone else who wishes to do something similar.

Phone calls, texts, tethering and pocket diary will be covered by a dumb-ish phone with good battery, so looking at a Nokia for that (I like the look of that Matrix style one...).

I'm curious which device you're referring to here.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Not keen on the smart phone options available, especially as they don't run my collection of Windows Store apps. The good thing about the Go as an upgrade is that it'll run my desktop software as well, so more compatible with my stuff than ever before. With Android I'd have to start from scratch. I'd rather move away from the smart phones. They just don't inspire me anymore.

The dumb(ish) phone I'm looking at is the Nokia 8110 for those interested. That way I can pretend to be Neo when making a call.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Not keen on the smart phone options available, especially as they don't run my collection of Windows Store apps. The good thing about the Go as an upgrade is that it'll run my desktop software as well, so more compatible with my stuff than ever before. With Android I'd have to start from scratch. I'd rather move away from the smart phones. They just don't inspire me anymore.

The dumb(ish) phone I'm looking at is the Nokia 8110 for those interested. That way I can pretend to be Neo when making a call.

If you need inspiration then maybe get a Blackberry Key2!

Because I want one but I don't want to pay $649 for it. :(

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I need a platform for my Windows apps on the go to replace my L950XL. Phone calls, texts, tethering and pocket diary will be covered by a dumb-ish phone with good battery, so looking at a Nokia for that (I like the look of that Matrix style one...). I have an original Toshiba Encore Atom tablet from the W8 days (now with W10) but that is very slow indeed and does not compete well with my Lumia. Hoping the Surface Go won't be too big for i.e. on the bus/at the bus stop, will also be great in hotels when travelling for work, and will be a performance upgrade from my Lumia. I fear it'll be slower than my Lumia and/or too bulky despite the low weight. Also, there could be other problems I'm not considering. Hoping people here with experience of making the switch now the Lumia line is heading for the door can give me the benefit of their experience.

I'm going to recommend the 3310 4g over the 8110 4g. 8110 is just not as well rounded according to reviews, slider is a bit fiddley, and shape isn't super pocket freindly. Both versions run the same software. I think only one has GPS tho?

A windows tablet and feature phone make a reasonable combo I think. I'd go that way if they had qwerty and a decent camera.

I dream of a month on standby, and dropping without palpitations. If you are somewhere with 'linked sims' you might consider the LTE version, so you don't have to bother with hotspot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss