Issues with Xbox One X recently purchased

T H I C C INCH

Aug 25, 2018
Visit site
Just recently bought a One X from GameStop and had a few questions.

First off when running X enhanced games I've notice that the fan does get a little loud but also there is an odd pulsing of RPMs that it does. It will go fast for about 1-2 seconds then slow down for 1-2 seconds, speed up and slow down in a loop kind of but it's a very small difference when you try to listen for it. Is that normal?

When I opened up the controller it had something on both inner thumbsticks and I was able to wipe it off (like a darker black later) rest of the controller looked new. Anyone know what if that's normal?

When registering my console I noticed that I got one year of manufacturer warranty and 2 months of technical support warranty. Is that generally what's given?

Edit: Console is super quiet when no game is played. I do sit about 2 feet from the console. Console is also in a very well ventilated location.

I also did notice my Lot Date was different from the manufacturer date (1826X for Lot date but manufacturer date of November 2017)

fatman390

Jul 2, 2017
Visit site
I have a day one Scorpio Edition. I've never noticed the fan, although I don't play on a 4k TV. I go through controller like my underwear, from stick drift to headphone jack wearing out. The warranty seems normal to me.

Simon Jonny

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I have xbox one x, and... I didn't even realise it had a fan. never heard it make a sound other than that 'ding' it makes when you power on the controller... actually, don't even know if the disc drive on it works as I've never played a disc based game either, is that what you can hear?

Monte Constable1

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a few games that make the fan ramp up. Wolfenstein 2, and Far Cry 5 sometimes. really more of a noticeable whoosh. If you want a loud fan get the PS4 Pro. I play any game that will at 4k

Steeve X

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site

First off when running X enhanced games I've notice that the fan does get a little loud but also there is an odd pulsing of RPMs that it does. It will go fast for about 1-2 seconds then slow down for 1-2 seconds, speed up and slow down in a loop kind of but it's a very small difference when you try to listen for it. Is that normal?

When I opened up the controller it had something on both inner thumbsticks and I was able to wipe it off (like a darker black later) rest of the controller looked new. Anyone know what if that's normal?

When registering my console I noticed that I got one year of manufacturer warranty and 2 months of technical support warranty. Is that generally what's given?

Edit: Console is super quiet when no game is played. I do sit about 2 feet from the console. Console is also in a very well ventilated location.

I also did notice my Lot Date was different from the manufacturer date (1826X for Lot date but manufacturer date of November 2017)

Scorpio edition. Same issue for me.

Flint BARNES

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
How often do you download suspec apps and software filling large amounts of hardrive space (fragment

LordFlux

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: How often do you download suspec apps and software filling large amounts of hardrive space (frag

I'm using a Scorpio Edition and have a handful of X Enhanced titles. Didn't even notice the fan with most of them, but with Railway Empire, the fan spins up like a turbo on a dragster. I couldn't believe how loud it got. It slows down after a few minutes, but then picks up speed again a few minutes later and the cycle repeats.

Strange that a FPS like Wolfenstein II results in so little system heat. but then a train sim causes the X to freak out.

anon(10519668)

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Ive never had any issues with fan noise, it operates almost silently. I have had 4 Xbox One X’s though!

The first Xbox One X lasted 48 hours and then refused to power on. The second started black screening and refusing to power on in the first 24 hours. The third was scratched from new straight from the box and I never even tried turning it on.

The fourth has been absolutely fine. The only issues I have come across have been with the OS. I sometimes get a black homescreen during use that comes back to life when you press the controllers X button to call up the main menu. It also seems to take a long time to shut down, well, longer than the standard Xbox One.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Nah, I've never even noticed the fan on mine.

If you're questing of it's abnormally loud then it probably is and you should look into service or returning it under warranty.

SomeGuy11

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed my fan nose more so recently. I heard about how whisper quiet the console was before buying but most say it's not whisper quiet in my hands. it runs noticebly loud with Fortniye. gaming on a 4k tv. got the extended warranty so not too worried about it

Van Embden

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
When I first started up my scorpio edition the day it was released the first tens seconds of it running the fan was making an alarming rattling noise however, it quickly went away and has worked fine ever since. I currently have it hooked up to a 7.2 pioneer receiver which is connected to a Samsung 4k hdr tv with no problems so far.

jeffreytz

Jun 4, 2006
Visit site
I have a Scorpio Edition that I pre-ordered and have had since day 1 and have never noticed the fan, and I sit pretty close to it. I primarily play racing games (Forza, F1) on Sony 4k HDR TV.

tec goblin

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Silent too. The original One occasionally was getting temporarily very loud, but Scorpio remains at a very low level all the time. It helps that it's smaller and better ventilated (One was just fitting in the place I put it, with lots of space behind and top, but only 2-5mm at the sides)

Dojo005

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Paired with 4k TV and have not noticed any fan noise as of yet. Have played Fortnight, Gears of War 4, Titanfall 2, Doom to name a few....

Gunzta

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Same for me, console silent while doing nothing on dashboard. When I play a game, console gets hot and fan starts to cycle faster/slower. It appears the heavier the game load on the console, the more the fan cycle happens. Assassin’s Creed Origins really makes this happen quickly.

brail81

Sep 10, 2018
Visit site
Bought an Xbox One from Gamestop during the trade deal in August. Just the standard one with no games. I believe it may be an older batch number because the newer ones like the PUBG were made more recently. That being said its relatively silent like the OG was. I havent noticed any difference in volume no matter what i am playing. i have played games mentioned in the comments like Far Cry 5 and Assassins Creed Origins that may be taxing the system a little more than most. I am playing on a 4k TV as well. My only gripe is that when i power it on after 2-3 seconds i get a little bump noise on the left side like the HDD parking or the disc laser aligning. Had a couple issues with 4k asset downloads with some games and had to completely reinstall several games because the updates just stopped mid update and would not proceed any further. All is well an good now though . Again though no noise. i live in FL as well and its hot here so my ambient room temps may be higher than most which would essentially make it run harder. My house is 76 degrees at any given moment and my xbox is located inside and entertainment center with and open back and i keep the door cracked on the front. Maybe there is faulty sensor in yours for temps making the fan go back and forth or possible bad thermal paste ?? Im not sure.

reb0927

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The I noticed the fan for the first time this summer playing fortnite. It gets very loud. The fan seems to really kick in with any games in 4k, but again fortnite was the most noticeable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria