It's over. Microsoft discontinues HoloLens 2, ending its foray into VR.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Props to VR because it has finally been able to get on the market and stay on the market. Unfortunately, mainstream adoption continues to be elusive. VR, AR, MR, none of the Rs have risen above being a niche. Add to that the graveyard of devices out there. All of Windows Mixed Realty is gone. The HTC Vive is still out there although almost no one talks or writes about it. The Valve Index is technically still available. PlayStation VR2 is moving to Windows just to salvage it. The Vision Pro started with a splash but recent articles don't have much to say about it. For the terminally online, VR seems huge, but I'm not finding anything to indicate that the average consumer cares about VR. I don't even think it's about price at this point, especially not with $300 headsets. There just seems to be something instinctual where people can look at VR and go, "Nah, not for me."

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I thought the HoloLens was a really cool item when it first was demo'd. I've though about getting a VR headset a few times, but hate the idea of working with Facebook if I got an Oculus (Quest) device. And not seeing any new feedback about the Vibe or any others hasn't pushed my forward either. It seems like developers are either waiting for the market to actually take off or the hardware to get better and better before committing. Dunno... I could do a lot of speculating, but in the end, I don't pull the trigger because I don't want to spend the $ and have it outdated (or dead) in a few months. I've got other things to buy and enjoy first. lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedro3000