keyboard input issues

Jay Chap

Sep 8, 2019
Visit site
I was having an issue with keyboard input on a Dell Inspiron 3650, so I bought a new desktop and I'm still having same issue. sometimes keystrokes don't register, other times input stops working for a few seconds and then all the keystrokes register at once. the mouse (connected with the same wireless receiver) is responsive during the keyboard issue, as is the UI. This is driving me freaking nuts and I work from home so I need a reliable computer.

specs:
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, version 1903, build 18362.329
ASRock H370M Pro4
Intel i5-9400
2x 8GB DDR4, 240MHz, dual-rank
250GB PNY CS3030 (OS, boot, system reserved, pagefile, WinRE) on m.2
1TB WD Blue (File Storage, Macrium Backup, Windows Backup) on SATA3
750GB HGST Travelstar (File History, Redundant Macrium Backup) on USB3.0
AMD WX 3100
2x Dell SE2719H
EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W
Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000

I've tried the keyboard wireless receiver in a number of different ports (front-panel USB2.0, front-panel USB3.0, rear-panel USB2.0, rear-panel USB3.0, rear-panel USB3.1), latest drivers and Windows Updates are installed. the only things in common between the two computers are Macrium Reflect, AutoCAD 2020, and using the 750GB external USB3.0 hard drive.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It could be a performance issue, i.e. your RAM or CPU maxes out, Windows halts and then all your keypresses and such end up working at the same time once resources are freed up. Does all this happen when your PC in Safe Mode?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It could be a performance issue, i.e. your RAM or CPU maxes out, Windows halts and then all your keypresses and such end up working at the same time once resources are freed up. Does all this happen when your PC in Safe Mode?

I'd personally be really annoyed if my system maxed out with that kind of gear.

Unless he's got some sort of process in the background eating up resources, which happens on W10 a lot, there shouldn't be an issue with the keyboard. It would mean almost freezing the computer to achieve that.

Jay Chap

Sep 8, 2019
Visit site
Have you tried another keyboard? Are you near any type of interference? In other words is your computer and your keyboard near each other?

The only other keyboard I have is a Logitech K710, which is what was originally having the issue on the Dell box. The keyboard and receiver are less than 3 feet apart.

I must have gotten a virus somehow, it's the only thing I can think of. The problem even occurs when I'm in the UEFI settings sometimes.

I'm going to clear the CMOS, re-flash the BIOS and. Secure Erase all 3 drives and do a clean Windows 10 installation. Unless the virus has gotten into my router (if that's even a thing), I don't know what else to do.

Jay Chap

Sep 8, 2019
Visit site
the problem only seems to occur with wireless keyboards, but I still don't understand why.
I tried the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 on a clean installation and on the first boot it was acting up. it's also glitchy when I'm in the UEFI, which I can't understand.

when I plug a corded keyboard in, everything is fine.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
the problem only seems to occur with wireless keyboards, but I still don't understand why.
I tried the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 on a clean installation and on the first boot it was acting up. it's also glitchy when I'm in the UEFI, which I can't understand.

when I plug a corded keyboard in, everything is fine.

So we now know it's not the USB ports and it's obviously something wrong with either the keyboard settings, driver or wireless connection. At the worst the keyboard itself.

So things to try:

Uninstall software if you have it installed. Then install it again. Download the latest from the internet.

Uninstall driver - you'll probably have to restart the computer. I would recommend doing this after you uninstall the software and before you install it again. There may be a conflict.

If there is a reset button on the keyboard try hitting that when the computer is on. It re-establishes the connection to the receiver.

Remove the batteries and put them back in while computer is on. Do this if you have no reset button.

Try changing the batteries, again while computer is on. Low battery power can cause issues.

You indicated that your computer is about 3 feet away. If the other things didn't fix your problem try putting the tower (case) as close a possible just out curiosity. Though wireless keyboard/mice are great it doesn't take much to disrupt a wireless system.

I use a wired keyboard at work and a wireless mouse. My wife uses a wireless keyboard and mouse. I've never had any issues like this before. None of the ones I use are Microsoft.

As a fellow AutoCAD user I hope you figure this out.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'd personally be really annoyed if my system maxed out with that kind of gear.

Unless he's got some sort of process in the background eating up resources, which happens on W10 a lot, there shouldn't be an issue with the keyboard. It would mean almost freezing the computer to achieve that.

My initial thoughts are that it is a process eating resources.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It could simply be the connection between the computer and wireless receiver is somehow not strong enough or keeps dropping, so there is a delay between what is typed and what happens on-screen. When you say wireless keyboard do you mean Bluetooth?

This may be or may be not similar to an issue I have on my Surface Pro where the Microsoft Bluetooth mouse is all laggy when connected via Bluetooth. I had to purchase a USB Bluetooth dongle and connect that to an external USB hub connected to the Surface, pair the mouse with that (not the Surface Pro directly) and it works fine now.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you read the post it's a Microsoft 2000 wireless keyboard and mouse combo. The wireless connection is propriety to the gear.

There's no reason for the lag they are experiencing other than possible issues with the gear itself or some type of conflict or interference.

Jay Chap

Sep 8, 2019
Visit site
the Wireless Desktop 2000 has 2.4GHz wireless connectivity, not bluetooth

there is no third-party software or drivers installed.
the driver in 'device manager' for "HID keyboard device" is from Microsoft, version 10.0.18362.1, dated 6/21/2006, and there are no available updates.

I'll try to install Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center 11 and see if it helps.

I tried uninstalling the driver and rebooting without clicking 'scan for new hardware' or running windows update so the old driver would be removed on shutdown and reinstalled on next boot - no help

keyboard does not have a reset button.

removed batteries, waited 10 minutes and reinserted - no help

range of the wireless receiver should be at least 25 feet, realistically more like 30, and the keyboard and receiver have line-of-sight so 3 feet distance should not be an issue. I cannot place the tower any closer unless I want it sitting on my lap.

I also don't think it's the USB ports themselves because I plugged the wired keyboard into the same port I had the wireless receiver in and the corded keyboard works flawlessly.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center seems to have done the trick. I typed the alphabet as a single string of keystrokes into notepad 10 times and no missed keystrokes now.

Taking a stab I'm guessing it's added better drivers and the software has fixed any issues you may have had. I had similar issues with Logitech mice in the past and it took the software to fix the issue.

Glad it's sorted. I personally didn't think there was anything wrong with the hardware as it appeared more like a software issue to me (or a conflict) from the get go but I don't know much about Microsoft peripheral products. I personally thought it would just work all things considered.

Jay Chap

Sep 8, 2019
Visit site
Taking a stab I'm guessing it's added better drivers and the software has fixed any issues you may have had.

I'm not sure why it wasn't installed through Windows Update. I have "Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows" toggled on in update options..

it's stupid that "allow downloads from other PCs" is turned on by default. it has tried to install nVIDIA display drivers several times, even though this computer has an AMD WX3100, because another computer on my LAN (the Dell Inspiron 3650) has a GT 730. whatever, I hate MSFT lol

thanks for your help

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center seems to have done the trick. I typed the alphabet as a single string of keystrokes into notepad 10 times and no missed keystrokes now.

It's good that this is now resolved for you. I also have to use Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center (it took me ages to find the download) to allow for my Surface Wedge mouse to be configurable. The settings weren't present by default in Windows 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatboy7000