Looks like Google is getting behind the modular phone idea

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't see something like this becoming popular. An Android device that cheap would be laggy and pretty much unusable.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't see something like this becoming popular. An Android device that cheap would be laggy and pretty much unusable.

Well, that's the point innit? I can purchase the 'frame' for $50, then customise it further into a more powerful phone if I want to.

edit: i.e. in theory. It remains to be seen how that sort of thing works out in practice.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Why would it be laggy simply because it is modular? A PC is modular, you can swap out any component. That doesn't make it laggy.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I know we've talked about it before, but now, it looks like Google is backing it:
http://gizmodo.com/google-wants-its-modular-ara-phone-to-cost-50-1532304428

The question is, will this change the game to more standards type components. At that point, would phones become less about the manuf and more about each individual component?

hells yes !

a 4600 mah battery that snaps in just like it should, or a 1300 for regular days?

quad core for $25+ or just a dual for $15 ?

USB charging point loser or broken? slap in a new one for 4$

want HDMI out? +5$

want a projector ? +10$

screen shattered? $35

need more ram? snap

who cares what it runs, you can replace the parts as they fail instead of the whole phone.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
hells yes !

a 4600 mah battery that snaps in just like it should, or a 1300 for regular days?

quad core for $25+ or just a dual for $15 ?

USB charging point loser or broken? slap in a new one for 4$

want HDMI out? +5$

want a projector ? +10$

screen shattered? $35

need more ram? snap

who cares what it runs, you can replace the parts as they fail instead of the whole phone.
EXACTLY!!! Let the consumer decide which components are important to THEM. I might need a bigger battery. SNAP. I might need more memory. SNAP. Etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett