Lumia 650 question

arjan wolthuis

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi i am considering myself a Lumia 650 as my next phone over my 640. Is it a good idea. Because the hardware is worse in the Lumia 650. Also how is the camera? What 's the resolution of the main camera? (in XXXXp) because some shops says it's 1080p other says it's 720p

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi i am considering myself a Lumia 650 as my next phone over my 640. Is it a good idea. Because the hardware is worse in the Lumia 650. Also how is the camera? What 's the resolution of the main camera? (in XXXXp) because some shops says it's 1080p other says it's 720p

Only way you'll know is if you take one for a spin yourself. For my use it is acceptable and can git-er-done, for the most part. The biggest crippling factor, IMO, is the OS, plain and simple.

What I like... Display (very nice), thin, light, metal frame, 16 GB internal storage, forward facing speaker, removable battery and expandable storage.

Don't like (but do)... OS.

Essentially, and for the price, I like everything about the phone physically including camera (photos) but the OS taints that experience considerably at times. it'll depends on your tolerance level(s) and what you're willing to accept and deal with.

Yeah video recording is limited to 720p, not great but useable if you remember to hold it steady.

Each opinion is personal which makes it tough to gauge fully whether it will suit your needs so I'd say "go for it" if you can, otherwise you'll never know. :smile:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Only way you'll know is if you take one for a spin yourself. For my use it is acceptable and can git-er-done, for the most part. The biggest crippling factor, IMO, is the OS, plain and simple.

What I like... Display (very nice), thin, light, metal frame, 16 GB internal storage, forward facing speaker, removable battery and expandable storage.

Don't like (but do)... OS.

Essentially, and for the price, I like everything about the phone physically including camera (photos) but the OS taints that experience considerably at times. it'll depends on your tolerance level(s) and what you're willing to accept and deal with.

Yeah video recording is limited to 720p, not great but useable if you remember to hold it steady.

Each opinion is personal which makes it tough to gauge fully whether it will suit your needs so I'd say "go for it" if you can, otherwise you'll never know. :smile:

+1

Whoever told you that the hardware is worse is wrong. It's slightly better, aside from video recording.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I tried out the Lumia 650 for about a week recently. The hardware is definitely not an issue. And according to feedback I have been receiving, it's better than the Lumia 640 on performance.

The video recording is limited to 720p though.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I carried both, back to back.

650 runs W10M smoother. Because it is built for 10 you get Call Recorder (a big deal to some). Better screen. Double the internal storage and that is a HUGE deal. 8GB does not cut it anymore. Nope, nuh unh, never going back there.

I think 650 takes better pics. This is purely subjective of course and might just relate to the sort of pics I like to take.

650 is more stylish, even if you don't get the candy colors and I loved my orange and green backs for my 640, I truly did. 650 is one ff the most pocketable devices I have carried in a loooong time. Took me two weeks to stop checking to see if it was really there.

SD 400 vs SD 212. Meh, I didn't notice much difference, but the 650 did seem to resume less. Some lag at that SoC level is to be expected. It hesitates, but I don't recall seeing the dreaded "Resuming..." screen.

Yes, the 650 only shoots 720p video. This is due to the SoC.

Here is the one thing. Are you super busy on your phone? Working it all day long? That battery might leave you flat. Light to moderate users are fine.

Look into the back pages of the 650 forum. This was all thrashed out long ago.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The 650 is surprisingly good and has Glance Screen which is small but incredibly helpful, NFC and Wallet capability. Plus it's thin and light. However, it lacks Hey Cortana (instead you need to touch the icon and then the microphone icon), lacks a camera button (you need to use the onscreen icon), and doesn't have a front flash, three things which I often am annoyed by and find limiting.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The 650 is surprisingly good and has Glance Screen which is small but incredibly helpful, NFC and Wallet capability. Plus it's thin and light. However, it lacks Hey Cortana (instead you need to touch the icon and then the microphone icon), lacks a camera button (you need to use the onscreen icon), and doesn't have a front flash, three things which I often am annoyed by and find limiting.

I generally agree but to be fair, the 640, which the OP is comparing this to, also doesn't have those things either.

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 650 now for two weeks...i had a 920 that I used for almost three years before moving to android when the 950s came out... If you can get it for less than $100 it a good phone, but I wouldn't for pay more then that. Check out swappa.com to get a mint condition one... The 650 is a good design with the screen and the storage but it's underpowered... It lags a bit and the three dots show up alot ... But if your a Windows fan it will be ok.

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
...it lacks Hey Cortana (instead you need to touch the icon and then the microphone icon)...

Not true, when you press and hold the Search icon button, Cortana will begin listening no matter what you're doing on your phone, even while the phone is locked.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Not true, when you press and hold the Search icon button, Cortana will begin listening no matter what you're doing on your phone, even while the phone is locked.

To be fair, that's not 'Hey Cortana'.

'Hey Cortana' is hands-free - you can use it even when the phone is lying unattended on a table, for instance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte