Microsoft announces fall Surface event taking place in September

ShinyProton

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
With all these slow, heavy, pen&touch unfriendly web tech based first party apps and OS controls, Surface became useless... anyone feeling pumped or empowered?
This ^
They are now an overpriced collection of well-designed but boring machines. There is this laziness, year-over-year, of minimal innovations and slow adoption of market trends. This downward spiral started with the Surface Neo.

I quit the boat last year after shopping for a replacement for about a year. The sticker price for the 9 series just made me turn my back over them. This laughable Apple-like strategy of high-end devices without the ecosystem support behind it just became absurd.

This being said, I will watch the reveal with a skeptical and critical eye though.
I brace myself for disappointment...

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
With all these slow, heavy, pen&touch unfriendly web tech based first party apps and OS controls, Surface became useless... anyone feeling pumped or empowered?
I feel the same. I used to be so pumped for these Microsoft/Surface fall events (just like people are for the Super Bowl... I know nerd alert!). I thought when Panos took over both Surface and Windows, we'd get faster and consistent innovation hand-in-hand with software and hardware. But it's been nothing but iterative updates ever since. Even Apple's boring events with iterative updates and old hardware are somehow more exciting. MS made the event more corporate-facing, when it used to be EVERYONE-facing. They seem to not realize that enterprises are made up of consumers lol. That's why Google and Apple have better reputations because they know how to win over consumers who then pick those services/devices for their businesses as well.

On top of that, it feels like Surface isn't the same brand we loved. All of their devices used to be so unique and well supported, but now it's just very minor updates, and even not even supporting some of their devices at all (Duo for example), which is disgusting given how expensive the devices are and when the competitors are promising support for years. And as someone who's always defended MS and promoted their devices, Windows, and apps... it's increasingly becoming difficult for me to do so because even I'm losing interest and tempted to switch every year that passes by with nothing exciting. And when WC said Pro 10 and Go 4 ARM are no longer happening this fall... I wasn't even surprised in the slightest, disappointed, but not surprised. They've had so many years to get their stuff together, but for one of the most innovative tech companies, they've really fallen hard in terms of getting users to 'love' their brand (which ironically, is something that both Panos and Satya have touted many times before when talking about the future of Microsoft... but the opposite is happening).

Reactions: Cosmocronos

dkstrauss

Apr 19, 2023
Visit site
They are now an overpriced collection of well-designed but boring machines. There is this laziness, year-over-year, of minimal innovations and slow adoption of market trends. This downward spiral started with the Surface Neo.
EXACTLY! Ever since they abandoned Neo they have become just another Dell/Lenovo/HP. In fact, that is unfair to those three OEMs because at least they are trying to innovate not just iterate. The Surface brand is no longer an aspirational device line, but a meh me too...well, the YogaBook 9i is basically just a fatter Neo...

Reactions: ShinyProton

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
This ^

I quit the boat last year after shopping for a replacement for about a year. The sticker price for the 9 series just made me turn my back over them. This laughable Apple-like strategy of high-end devices without the ecosystem support behind it just became absurd.

This being said, I will watch the reveal with a skeptical and critical eye though.
I brace myself for disappointment...
What high-end devices? High-end prices for suresies.

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
EXACTLY! Ever since they abandoned Neo they have become just another Dell/Lenovo/HP. In fact, that is unfair to those three OEMs because at least they are trying to innovate not just iterate. The Surface brand is no longer an aspirational device line, but a meh me too...well, the YogaBook 9i is basically just a fatter Neo...
The YogaBook is an actual product. The Neo never existed.

ShinyProton

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
Good/great hardware is plentiful. Decent software is nowhere to be found.
I have to agree here.
Windows is now pretty irrelevant for the consumer digital lifestyle.

Tons of apps to configure and use devices (drones, cameras, IOTs) only exist for mobile platform nowadays.
It remains viable because of gaming, potent internet browsing and office tools.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

DontBeEvil10

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I feel the same. I used to be so pumped for these Microsoft/Surface fall events (just like people are for the Super Bowl... I know nerd alert!). I thought when Panos took over both Surface and Windows, we'd get faster and consistent innovation hand-in-hand with software and hardware.
This, 100 times this, I had high hopes with Panos... so now my disappointment is 100 times bigger :(

Reactions: Arun Topez

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124