Microsoft Azure - Free Tier?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Moderators - I'm not sure if this is on topic for this forum, or this website in general. Please move or delete if you think that's appropriate.

I'm interested in using Micosoft Azure or another provider to try out cloud hosting of a web app I'm developing. I'd like to try this for free to start with (during development), but I'm happy to pay if I deploy it for real later. I'm quite confused about what Azure offers for free. I know there's a free trial, giving 150 euros to spend on Azure cloud services, but there's also some talk of a 'free tier' on the Azure website, and a table which could be interpreted as showing what you can get for free.

Does Azure offer long term free hosting (albeit with limitations)? Or is the 'free tier' tied into the free trial, which I assume is time limited? As I only get time to work on this occasionally, I don't want to start a trial of (say) one month during the holiday season when I'll be away a lot! I also don't want to sign in with my Microsoft account, which I assume might trigger the start of the free trial!

In case you're interested, I'm working with Node.js and (currently) MongoDB. I am attracted to Azure by its apparent ease of use and support for these platforms. I won't have large storage or bandwidth requirements at this stage. Any feedback or experiences you would like to share about it would be very interesting.

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
OK, I've read a bit more and it seems the Azure free tier is fine for my purposes now. I might upgrade to a paid for account later if needed.
But I don't want to start the 'free trial' with the 150 euros to spend on Azure services for 30 days. If I sign up for Azure, does the free trial start immediately even if I only use the free tier services? Or can I choose when it starts?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
In case anyone is interested, I've gone with Redhat's OpenShift instead as it seems to better meet my needs. I'm impressed so far. My web app was up and running at the first attempt. :)

I guess this thread can be closed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epoch4