Microsoft Estimates Several Million Employees Will Adopt Windows Phone in a Few Months

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Not holding my breath. Oh, fine and dandy, a company with the resources can write custom apps or whatever.

In the meantime (unless something has changed that I'm not aware of,) a WP user cannot:

1. Export SMS as text or CSV. Could be very crucial in day to day matters, let alone legal.
2. No call log. You are a lawyer, say, and you can't go through the phone "log" at the end of the day for billing purposes.
3. No HID bluetooth or keyboard connection to a PC. Understandably, not a deal killer for many. But for the Fumble Fingered, like me, this would be wonderful. I use the on screen KB as little as possible, and the speech to text is close to worthless.
4. If you presume an enterprise is running Exchange Server, all the employees use LookOut, all is well. But those who aren't there are in the middle of the battlefield of email and calendaring. Ever hear of CALdav, MS? Oh, wait, even non-enterprise Apple does a better job...........including Outlook integration.

I want WP to succeed. But it has a long way to go. And "It's new," is a poor excuse. The things I mention are instantly obvious.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
#2 Call log can be provided by the carrier (at least for Verizon). I can view, and even better export to Excel or csv, both my personal account and all of our accounts at work.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It's so funny to me when people jump into these threads about MS in general, Windows Phone in general, or a specific topic and they immediately change the topic (rude) to a list of a few really obscure things that almost nobody cares about and claim that these are obvious requirements needed by nearly all consumers for WP to succeed. Basically they turn someone else's thread into their own personal rant/complaint thread instead of discussing the actual topic.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Jeez, man, get a grip. The man asked a question and I gave an opinion, focused on the question presented. I absolutely did NOT change the topic. I never suggested that my concerns are the concerns of all enterprise users. But some of them might well be. If I was in a profession like lawyering that required billable hour records, WP is instantly out of the running. I would need to go through a phone log - like the other guys have - and bill for the time I talked to customers.

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
The company I work for provides IT support to a few retail companies and all their work phones are lumia devices

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Jeez, man, get a grip. The man asked a question and I gave an opinion, focused on the question presented. I absolutely did NOT change the topic. I never suggested that my concerns are the concerns of all enterprise users. But some of them might well be. If I was in a profession like lawyering that required billable hour records, WP is instantly out of the running. I would need to go through a phone log - like the other guys have - and bill for the time I talked to customers.

Dude, if you're on 8.1, all you gotta do is, from call history, long press the call and select Details. Tells you what kind, when and how long. Easy Peasy.

I'm not sure how, but I know you can access your SMS logs through Outlook. There's threads about that.

An option for sausage fingers may be the Project My Screen app?? You can see your screen on your PC and use your KB. Also, if you Bluetooth to a Win8.1 PC, you have options to call, etc. from a desktop window.

Personally, I went to Family Dollar and got a 3 pack of stylus pens (yes you can write in ink) for $5. They're just capacitive, but sometimes easier as I've got Salchichas (Sausages in Spanish) too.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Verizon: One carrier out of four. Or more. And how about any prepaid account? Not satisfactory.

Well, given your example of a "business" situation....I would presume postpaid. There are costs/benefits in every type of service to consider, and not all are obvious. Streamlined billing and call detail certainly being a biggie if one would be charging their time to clients incrementally.

I'm sure the other carriers have the same type of capabilities..... They never stay too far from each other.

The SMS detail is a glaring problem. It can be backed up and restored, just not viewed. In one sense, this is telling of the old adage: "A totally secure system is one you can't use." As the SMS data is stored in secure file areas, only Microsoft can securely enable the feature.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, given your example of a "business" situation....I would presume postpaid. There are costs/benefits in every type of service to consider, and not all are obvious. Streamlined billing and call detail certainly being a biggie if one would be charging their time to clients incrementally.

I'm sure the other carriers have the same type of capabilities..... They never stay too far from each other.

The SMS detail is a glaring problem. It can be backed up and restored, just not viewed. In one sense, this is telling of the old adage: "A totally secure system is one you can't use." As the SMS data is stored in secure file areas, only Microsoft can securely enable the feature.

I'm positive, seen the process detailed numerous times, that SMS history can be viewed though Outlook. And I've already explained away Call Log.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
You can sort of see it.... The senders side of the conversation. You have to change a few view settings to get there.

Microsoft has also stated this isn't supported.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
The company I work for provides IT support to a few retail companies and all their work phones are lumia devices

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

It will be interesting how MSFT will distribute these phones. Good to know that Lumias are out already in use. Thanks

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I really hope so cause the market share is shrinking

Where? Lastime I checked market share is up all over. Not very rapidly like many would expect. But progress is progress. Market share growth takes time. Lets see where MSFT stands on mobile at the end of 2017. Excuse me but I perceive that you are a troll.

Last edited:

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Where? Lastime I checked market share is up all over. Not very rapidly like many would expect. But progress is progress. Market share growth takes time. Lets see where MSFT stands on mobile at the end of 2017. Excuse me but I perceive that you are a troll.

Weren't we told that WP would be at 10% global market share by 2015 and it's only 6 months away and sitting at 3.1%? Obviously WP will never get to 10%, much less 5%...

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Weren't we told that WP would be at 10% global market share by 2015 and it's only 6 months away and sitting at 3.1%? Obviously WP will never get to 10%, much less 5%...

Haha enjoy it while it last. Strong word there you used "Never". In other words impossible. Your mentality is irrational. Nothing is impossible. And because of your nonsense analogy I dismiss your cause.

MSFT has been in this position before. Down but not defeated. MSFT will rise again to the Surface. Google and Apple products will soon seized when the niche crashes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb