Microsoft just renamed its Edge browser on iOS and Android... kind of

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
"Tech giants are racing to get AI into the hands of consumers".

Which makes me wonder why Microsoft is doing this, since businesses make up the vast majority of MS's client base.

If this stuff can't be turned off in Windows 12 Enterprise, it will flop louder and harder than Windows 8 did. No business is going to want Microsoft "AI" watching what all employees are doing and offering "suggestions" on what to do next. What could possibly go wrong with that?

This stuff HAS to be optional and should NOT be on by default.

Steve78UK

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
"Tech giants are racing to get AI into the hands of consumers".

Which makes me wonder why Microsoft is doing this, since businesses make up the vast majority of MS's client base.

If this stuff can't be turned off in Windows 12 Enterprise, it will flop louder and harder than Windows 8 did. No business is going to want Microsoft "AI" watching what all employees are doing and offering "suggestions" on what to do next. What could possibly go wrong with that?

This stuff HAS to be optional and should NOT be on by default.
You say that but it's creeping in everywhere with surprising acceptance. Where I work the Service Desk has a chat bot that is underused but surprisingly good at resolving first line issues and even more complex problems as it pulls resolutions from previous support tickets with remarkable accuracy.

It's sneaking in to all Microsoft Apps, anything from a web browser to Office 365.

If it saves time & money then businesses are going to want to use it. It goes without saying that it needs to be a cautious approach but any organisation completely nuking it from their environment are going to be the ones losing out.

It's also wrong to suggest AI is 'watching' employees. It all depends on how it's used within apps and more importantly what the user asks it to do. Querying localised data in your environment should be perfectly ok, as long as there's no transmission of sensitive and personal data back to Microsoft or whoever the vendor is for 'training' their products.

Microsoft are not going to want to anger the Enterprise so you'd think they'll be huge scope for IT Admins to enable or disable what their organisation finds acceptable in Windows 12. Assuming Windows 12 will launch late in 2024 then Microsoft really needs to get a preview out sooner rather than later so people can start playing around with it.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You say that but it's creeping in everywhere with surprising acceptance. Where I work the Service Desk has a chat bot that is underused but surprisingly good at resolving first line issues and even more complex problems as it pulls resolutions from previous support tickets with remarkable accuracy.

It's sneaking in to all Microsoft Apps, anything from a web browser to Office 365.

If it saves time & money then businesses are going to want to use it. It goes without saying that it needs to be a cautious approach but any organisation completely nuking it from their environment are going to be the ones losing out.

It's also wrong to suggest AI is 'watching' employees. It all depends on how it's used within apps and more importantly what the user asks it to do. Querying localised data in your environment should be perfectly ok, as long as there's no transmission of sensitive and personal data back to Microsoft or whoever the vendor is for 'training' their products.

Microsoft are not going to want to anger the Enterprise so you'd think they'll be huge scope for IT Admins to enable or disable what their organisation finds acceptable in Windows 12. Assuming Windows 12 will launch late in 2024 then Microsoft really needs to get a preview out sooner rather than later so people can start playing around with it.
Just to clarify.... Those auto-chat systems that companies use are not AI. That's like slapping the label "High Definition (HD)" on sunglasses. Those bot services are simply coding refined to guide step by step processes. Even when they pull info from previous tickets - that isn't the use of Artificial Intelligence - that's coding, tags, filters.
Source: we just installed a state of the art "chat" service for one of our state clients.

Steve78UK

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Just to clarify.... Those auto-chat systems that companies use are not AI. That's like slapping the label "High Definition (HD)" on sunglasses. Those bot services are simply coding refined to guide step by step processes. Even when they pull info from previous tickets - that isn't the use of Artificial Intelligence - that's coding, tags, filters.
Source: we just installed a state of the art "chat" service for one of our state clients.
Yeah sure, I agree but its marketed as such. Like ChatGPT is labelled by many as just a fancy search engine by some. However, the lines are blurred a little as the chat bots are intelligently providing accurate answers based on what is asked, and even presenting intelligent alternative resolutions to problems. There's machine learning involved at the very least.

Reactions: HelloNNNewman

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah sure, I agree but its marketed as such. Like ChatGPT is labelled by many as just a fancy search engine by some. However, the lines are blurred a little as the chat bots are intelligently providing accurate answers based on what is asked, and even presenting intelligent alternative resolutions to problems. There's machine learning involved at the very least.
I get your direction, but the 'machine learning' is advanced database management. Again, there is a huge difference between database loading and actual 'machine learning'. The auto-chat systems, while they seem like they are learning as they go, are actually just using extremely elaborate (but still manually managed) filters and tags to build and extend (add to) their knowledge databases. Each call creates an 'ticket number' and walks customers through an huge "pain-in-the-*** " process (as we call it) that pulls from a database to steer the steps for that 1st level.

When it goes to 2nd tier (human interaction), the actions taken to resolve that ticket number are filtered and tagged, and added to the process steps where possible. It is all still managed by a team to keep the service tweaked and growing... but there is no "intelligence" involved outside of human. An automatic service like this is designed to make the customer feel like they are actually talking to someone, or that the software is 'alive'. But it is all purely intentional design and constant manual programming.

Last edited:

Sean Endicott

Staff member
Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

Nadella has said that all Microsoft services will have AI in some form or another. He certainly seems to have kept true to his word. Everything from keyboard apps to Windows itself has AI now.

Interesting thing on the "watching front." The other day I wrote an article that was embargoed, so we had details in advance but couldn't publish until a certain time. When I previewed the article and asked Copilot in Edge about it, the tool knew the piece was private. I'm not sure how to be honest. Maybe the URL mentioning preview hinted at that. In any case, Copilot switched to a different mode that didn't save the conversation since it appeared to be private.

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
Once again, they seem to not understand how to market to their userbase. This could actually cause a negative effect the users don't already have it installed, because people are sick of "AI" buzzword overload. I'm not an Apple fan, but even I can see how smart they are to barely mention AI, and instead let the features that use AI speak for itself. It's become just another annoying buzzword like cloud was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria