Microsoft thinks stuffing Bing ads into Google Chrome is offering its customers 'choice,' except it really isn't that

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
"We know how good Edge is as a browser, likewise Bing as a search engine".

Edge is only good now because it is the same as Chrome. The original version written by MS sucked.

Bing is OK, but no one uses it because...no one uses it. Everyone thinks Google is the way to search. Nothing wrong with that. Being successful is not against the law.

I have never used Google. I have been using Yahoo since before Google even existed. Depending on what I am looking for I either go to Yahoo or Wikipedia. Google is not needed for anything.

"Google is far from a shining beacon of reason, I firmly believe the world has failed itself by allowing it to become the arbiter of the Internet."

Except that it isn't. I don't use Chrome and I don't use Google. I am not missing anything.

20 years ago Internet Explorer controlled access to the internet. Were you OK with that? Would the world be better off if Edge and Bing both had 80% market share instead of Chrome and Google?

Silver Wind

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
"We know how good Edge is as a browser, likewise Bing as a search engine".

Edge is only good now because it is the same as Chrome. The original version written by MS sucked.

Bing is OK, but no one uses it because...no one uses it. Everyone thinks Google is the way to search. Nothing wrong with that. Being successful is not against the law.

I have never used Google. I have been using Yahoo since before Google even existed. Depending on what I am looking for I either go to Yahoo or Wikipedia. Google is not needed for anything.

"Google is far from a shining beacon of reason, I firmly believe the world has failed itself by allowing it to become the arbiter of the Internet."

Except that it isn't. I don't use Chrome and I don't use Google. I am not missing anything.

20 years ago Internet Explorer controlled access to the internet. Were you OK with that? Would the world be better off if Edge and Bing both had 80% market share instead of Chrome and Google?
The Yahoo you love so much is powered by Bing, that you think is just OK. Has been since 2009, except between 2015 and 2018. Against Google, Bing had the disadvantage of being a relative newcomer, and has been steadily gaining market share (currently at 10% vs Google's 83%, compared to 3% vs 90% 6 years ago).

Edge written by MSFT didn't "suck" it just didn't receive the necessary support from web developers, who treated it as if it was internet explorer, and limited their websites when it was the useragent. In terms of standards support, it was much better than the likes of Safari and Mozilla. It was faster and more efficient than chrome, and lagged behind only in matters that Microsoft couldn't control. That latter is exactly why Microsoft switched to Chromium, which solved all its problems.

Internet Explorer was once like Google too. It was great when it came out but got full of itself by implementing its own non-standard features that never became standards. By the time MSFT realized its mistake, it was too late to turn back due to a section of the web depending on its non-standard features (thus the need for various Internet Explorer Mode / IE Frame / etc features found in modern browsers.) This was made worse by Microsoft's slow update cycle at the time. None of that applies to any of the browsers today, and the industry has clearly learned what it needed to from IE.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria