Microsoft unveils business-focused Surface Pro 10 and Surface Laptop 6 with Intel Core Ultra, new NPUs, and display upgrades

vitaminj

Mar 21, 2024
Visit site
Heh, I like that the embargo for this was just as the livestream started, so everyone reported on it before MS even got to talking about it!

But anyway: nah. I'm waiting for the ARM stuff. I've been waiting for an ARM Surface (Laptop?) Go
for years it seems! I'm really not in the market for any more x86/64 jet-engine spaceheaters (from any OEM) now that ARM CPUs have obviously been the way forward for most things except demanding/gaming tasks

ShinyProton

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
Worse Surface release event yet.

I just can't believe the latest Go is still missing a backlit keyboard. Microsoft has been bashed every release about this and still refuses to add this close to mandatory feature. And that price.

For the Studio, nice. That's it. Still overpriced.

Nothing ARM yet.

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
Shouldn't they be calling these Surface Pro 9+ and Surface Laptop 5+ based on their naming conventions and using the the previous gen chasis? It'll be strange that the consumer variants of Pro 10 and Laptop 6 having design updates? Hopefully the June event is more significant, given it's their milestone 10th anniversary.

Anyway, glad to hear it's still happening, even if delayed. But is it true the consumer versions will only be available in Arm? Based on the article it sounds like that. Have they even made any major Arm advancements in the last few years? I don't recall seeing any articles about it for a while.

Hanley Gibbons

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Shouldn't they be calling these Surface Pro 9+ and Surface Laptop 5+ based on their naming conventions and using the the previous gen chasis? It'll be strange that the consumer variants of Pro 10 and Laptop 6 having design updates? Hopefully the June event is more significant, given it's their milestone 10th anniversary.

Anyway, glad to hear it's still happening, even if delayed. But is it true the consumer versions will only be available in Arm? Based on the article it sounds like that. Have they even made any major Arm advancements in the last few years? I don't recall seeing any articles about it for a while.
I don't think we'll actually see as significant of redesign as is being hyped. Nobody has even bothered to report on the fact that the Pro 10 has rounded corners on the screen (something that was rumored for the consumer/ARM version). At this rate, I think the only difference between the commercial and consumer version will be LCD and Intel for commercial, OLED and Qualcomm for consumers.

Zac Bowden

Windows Central Senior Editor
Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
I don't think we'll actually see as significant of redesign as is being hyped. Nobody has even bothered to report on the fact that the Pro 10 has rounded corners on the screen (something that was rumored for the consumer/ARM version). At this rate, I think the only difference between the commercial and consumer version will be LCD and Intel for commercial, OLED and Qualcomm for consumers.
Surface Laptop 6 will have a refreshed design.

Reactions: Hanley Gibbons

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I refuse to believe there won't be a consumer Intel version available.

I'm all for more performance and less battery performance. But there's no way I would sacrifice the ability to do anything I want with my PC. That means not worrying about whether my printer works. Whether my accessories work. I can imagine grandma calling and asking why her Cricut machine doesn't work.

There will still be a consumer Surface Pro 10 with OLED screen, Intel Inside, etc.

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
"Have they even made any major Arm advancements in the last few years? I don't recall seeing any articles about it for a while."

Yes. Basically Qualcomm has caught up to Apple in the Arm PC chipset sector. The announcement was last summer or so. The upcoming Windows Arm PCs will (well should, anyway) have comparable performance to Arm Macs and comparable battery life.

I agree with the OP: " I'm really not in the market for any more x86/64 jet-engine spaceheaters (from any OEM) now that ARM CPUs have obviously been the way forward for most things except demanding/gaming tasks".

I too am totally done with Intel heaters and fans. My current "Windows PC" is a VM on this MacBook Pro. It runs Windows 11 Arm just fine. The MacBook Pro simultaneously runs MacOS, Mac apps and iPad apps and it runs Windows 11 and Windows apps.

And it remains cool. Choke on my dust, Intel.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria