Microsoft Wants to Buy and Save Winamp

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
AOL recently announced that it would discontinue Winamp on December 20, 2013, but it turns out that the media player could get a chance to live on.

In a pretty unexpected twist of the story, Microsoft is reportedly interested in acquiring AOL?s media player and the Shoutcast service, even though no confirmation from Redmond has until now been released.

TechCrunch is reporting via unnamed sources that Microsoft and AOL are already talking of a

potential deal that could be announced by December 20, the date when Winamp is set to go dark.

While it?s hard to tell what Microsoft would actually do with Winamp, this could really be the only way to see the media player living on beyond the AOL era, as millions of users across the world are still running it on either Windows or Android right now.

Microsoft Wants to Buy and Save Winamp – Report

This could work really well for Microsoft, and somehow get it integrated into WP as Winamp is one of the best, if not the best media player out there.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting, since I didn't even know Winamp was still around until I saw the stories about it being shut down. I haven't used it in ~ 10 years.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb