Microsoft's Activision deal is being punished over Google Stadia's failure

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I think MS should bail on the UK entirely. It's a nonsensical decision and should mean that the UK misses out. No more COD for you!
as a brit, i agree lol. our entire regulatory framework is stupid (not just for tech). and something like msft pulling out might acc lead to some change.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Good article. I hadn't thought about Stadia with this (it was such a brief fire), but a great insight.

What most regulators across all countries don't seem to understand (or they do, but as creatures of politics, they don't care) is that profit is what attracts investment, and investment is what drives innovation. Profit is not a bad thing; it's essential to anything worthwhile being pursued by any company and its pursuit is responsible for the majority of technical advances in the past few hundred years.

Domination in technology (as opposed to, say, real estate or some other finite good) is a myth: time will destroy any market leader if it fails to continue to innovate. Anything 5 years old in tech is obsolete, so if that same company hasn't radically improved its tech in that time in a way that continues to delight and entice customers, it will lose its leadership position in that market.

Regulation, on the other hand, stifles innovation and nearly always hurts customers. It's generally the result of lobbying by competitors or politicians who want to demonize some company or other for their own political gain (whipping people into anger is good political currency). It may well achieve some short term goal, giving the regulators a sense of accomplishment. But it ensures that 5 years later, the whole world is worse off and the flame of innovation and technological improvement diminished.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99