Microsoft's Future with Verizon?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Given today's article by Dan Rubino (Microsoft's Cityman and Talkman flagship Lumia phones and what you need to know | Windows Central), and the rumors of things cooling off between Microsoft and Verizon, I decided to dig up an old thread (http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-trophy/178392-i-sent-letter-vp-chief-marketing-officer.html) that I started back in 2011 after becoming fed up with Verizon not carrying a Windows Phone (remember the Trophy).

So I just sent another message to Marni Walden (Marni M. Walden - Verizon), who is now the Executive Vice President and President of Product Innovation and New Businesses at Verizon. Here is what I said:
Dear Ms. Walden,
I am writing to you as a concerned subscriber, having heard some negative rumors regarding Verizon?s future with Microsoft. I have been hearing that Verizon will no longer carry Microsoft?s phones, and I find this very disconcerting. Frankly, the Nokia Lumia Icon that I have (which is now Microsoft?s brand) is the best phone that Verizon has ever carried, and before that, I was exceedingly happy with my Lumia 928 and 822. The only problem I had with the 822 is that Verizon was the last company out of the gate with a flagship Lumia, the 928, which didn?t come until many months after the launch of Windows Phone 8, when other companies had the 920, 925, and 1020, all of which were superior to the 822. I was relieved to see the 928 come out, and even more elated when the Icon came out, as it seemed that perhaps Verizon was finally done throwing its temper tantrum over the failed Microsoft Kin of 2010.

Now it seems the rumors are back to a rift between Microsoft and Verizon, and the losers will be your customers. Rumors of Microsoft?s upcoming flagship phones, the phones code-named Cityman and Talkman suggest that there will not be a Verizon copy of these phones, and there is no mention of a CDMA radio in any of the rumored specs. This is quite disturbing.

Verizon has the best coverage in the area where I live, so I have stayed with Verizon through all of this. But ATT?s signals have improved enough that it is actually very likely that I will become an ATT customer should Verizon not carry either of these two new phones this fall. With the launch of Windows 10 next week, and the expectation of Windows 10 for phones coming this fall, I will definitely be purchasing a new phone, and it will be a Microsoft phone. Whether that phone is on Verizon?s network or not is up to you. I would prefer to stay with Verizon, but Verizon?s network is no longer worth giving up the benefits that I gain by staying with Microsoft?s ecosystem.

In the April 2012 earnings call, Verizon CFO Fran Shammo said that the third ecosystem is important to Verizon, and even said, ?We are fully supportive of that with Microsoft.? Verizon has since shown fits and starts with that third ecosystem. The 822 started late with the Windows Phone 8 launch, the 928 was a many months later flagship that many of us waited for, and the Icon finally brought us up to par with ATT?s offerings on some levels. But since then, Verizon has wavered in support. We were among the first to get the Windows Phone 8.1 update, quite a pleasant surprise, but now we?re hearing that support for that third ecosystem that is so important to Verizon is not much more than a vapor. Is a third ecosystem important to Verizon or not? If not, please let me know so that I can start paying more attention to ATTs offerings.

As I said, I WILL be purchasing a new phone this fall. I would LIKE for it to be a Verizon phone, but I can tell you with one hundred percent certainty, it WILL be a Microsoft phone. I have been a Verizon customer for many years, and only wavered in that loyalty when Verizon failed at launching the Trophy in a timely manner. I would prefer to stay put, but I am a consumer who knows what he wants. A Windows Phone with the best camera available ? a Microsoft phone.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my concerns.

Richard XXXXXXX

Please consider writing a letter of your own to her (click the contact link on the page linked above), if you want the Cityman/Talkman to come to Verizon.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I switched to AT&T late last year because of Verizon's lack of support (after 14 years of loyalty), so I'm not surprised by this rumor.

Windows phone's struggles in the US are largely to blame on Verizon (and to an extent AT&T), if they'd given half as much hype to it as they did the iPhone and Android upon their release I think we would have seen a drastic difference in market share.

With that said, if "Talkman" were to actually come to Verizon, I'd switch back in a second.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My problem is that Verizon truly does have the best coverage in my area (I've tried ATT and Sprint, and my step-daughter has had TMO), so switching isn't without sacrifice. :straight:

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
My problem is that Verizon truly does have the best coverage in my area (I've tried ATT and Sprint, and my step-daughter has had TMO), so switching isn't without sacrifice. :straight:
I'm in the same exact boat as you, except ATT is very hit/miss. I really don't want to think about Apple or return to Android. Hell, I've even gotten a few family members into 735's without Verizon having to lift a finger - kinda feel bad about that now if this comes to pass.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... If I do switch, I'll have to get a couple of network extenders for in my house. That won't cover the yard, though. And I'll have to get used to stepping outside at church to talk on the phone, though I rarely talk on the phone at church - and I'm the computer guy, so I know the password to the Wifi.... :wink:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not talking about during service! :winktongue: But when we have dinners after church, or between services. Even the pastor, on ATT, goes to the parking lot to talk. :wink:

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Personally aside from sprint I think Verizon is the worst carrier for windows phone. And where we live their coverage is not worth the exorbitant fees they charge

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That's you. This is me. The difference is in the where. Here, Verizon is not just the best, but it is the ONLY carrier that provides acceptable coverage to my home and the area surrounding. No, I'm not going to move to wherever you live. I like it here. Don't use your experience to invalidate mine. Yours is yours, and mine is mine. They are both valid. Your liking ATT doesn't put a new tower on the next mountain ridge. Accept it.

Last edited:

Casey8

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I'd recommend going to WP uservoice and searching cityman. It'll return a result talking about cityman and talkman on verizon. Feel free to voice your opinion. This is ridiculous. I have a ready to upgrade 928 and can't make the family change carriers just because of me.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
At least I'm fortunate enough to not be on contract right now. My Icon is Edge, and mostly paid off, but my wife's phone is an 822 (wasn't that in 2012?), and my step-son has an Android that someone gave him (it pains me greatly that there is an Android on my account :wink:). So switching wouldn't be too much of a financial burden. My wife likes her 822, and since it is unlocked, we could use it on ATT. She wouldn't notice the 3G vs 4G. My step-son is 36, and on my account, so he can go back to a flip-phone for all I care. He can do what he wants. The only hitch for me is coverage. :straight:

mdlive

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If you go to Verizon's website, you can leave feedback. I submitted this today:

I have been a loyal customer since the 90s. Windows phone is the best mobile platform--bar none. If Verizon does not carry any of Microsoft's flagship Windows 10 phones (Cityman and Talkman), I will be switching to AT&T. Their coverage in my area has improved greatly and I feel it is now equivalent to Verizon's coverage. I do not want to switch carriers. Please don't alienate your loyal customers.

GoodEyeSniper83

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Verizon is also the best provider for where I live. I just bought a Lumia 735 in their recent promotion. What am I supposed to do if they stop supporting Windows?

Last edited:

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
A lot rides on Verizon's decisions and actions. If you look back at the beginning of Android and iOS, Verizon needed a counter to the iPhone. At first they tried to push other phones and OS's. Then they put Android on the map with a huge marketing push (their whole "Droid" campaign). Android was built on Verizon's might. Marketed as a true iPhone competitor even though at the time Android was pretty awful. Google was fortuitous to have Verizon do the heavy marketing lifting. Eventually market conditions forced them to sell iPhones too but they didn't have to cede to the typical Apple demands usually placed on carriers because they still had android phones. If Verizon ever felt that both google and apple were pushing unreasonable demands, then it would be possible for Verizon to throw their weight behind Windows Mobile. By until that happens they won't really support Windows Mobile.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you're not following this thread (http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-cityman-lumia-950-xl/368800-verizon-debacle-new-post.html) there is some good information there. Mr MacPhisto has a number of comments in there, and he has proven a reliable source of Verizon information in the past, as he is friends with someone who is pretty high up in the company. One of the things that he mentions is that Verizon is OKd Microsoft to sell phones that are unlocked and will work on Verizon, as several Android devices today do. This is something to hope for. Of course, take this with a grain of salt in that plans can and do sometimes change, and right now that discussion was around enterprises, but I'm hoping that there will be a day when I can pick up a 950 in the Microsoft Store and pop my Verizon SIM into it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss