Mobile Hotspot won't work with Dell Venue Pro 7140

kasfig

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 735 with Windows 10 installed, and wanted to create a hotspot so that I would be able to browse websites on my Dell Venue Pro 11 7140 tablet - which also has Windows 10 on it.

The mobile phone sim card is a contract - sim only contract - and wits a company call "Three" which gives me an allowance of 4gb per month data.
I know for a fact that I've only used up 400mb of my monthly allowance so far, so I havent run out of data by any means.

I managed to create a hotspot on the phone using the app "Hotspot Lite". The message "hotspot created did come up on the phone.

After this I went to the Dell Tablet and selected the option of "connect to hotspot" and pressed the "connect" button (after of course putting in the Key)

Although the good news is that connection was successful, the message that came up is "connected secure - no internet"

Also in Microsoft Edge the website for "Three.co.uk" launched itself and the web page stated " you have run out of data"

This is mystifying as I definitely DO have data on my sim card ( I double checked by testing the browser on the mobile phone to see if that was the case - it was)

Please does anyone perhaps have some idea what hurdle I need to overcome here. Its the first time I have ever dealt with hotspots so I am proper novice here.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Instead of using the Hotspot Lite app, just go into settings on your phone, maybe cellular and data, I forgot the exact location, and turn on the hotspot option on your phone. Make sure you look at and write down the password. You can also change it while you're there too.
Once that is on, go into the settings menu on your tablet and find the WiFi section. Once there, connection should be just like connecting to any other WiFi router.
You might want to power both your phone and your tablet off and on before you try to connect the Tanner l tablet.
I hope that helps.

kasfig

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
Hi ScienceGuy Labs
Thanks again for the advice.
I have tried your suggested method, but unfortunately I still ended up with the same situation "Connected - no internet"
I've subsquently phoned the provider "Three" and they advised although the data plan I'm on gives me 4gb per month usage on my mobile phone internet, I am not allowed hotspotting or "tethering" unless I purchase the "personal hotspot addon"
that gives me 1gb a month hotspot data for £5 (or more expensive for larger amounts of data).
The strange thing is though, that if I physically take the sim card out of the mobile phone and put it in the Huawei E8372 dongle and create the hotspot that way, then it does work. It would however be a somewhat inconvenient or awkward workaround to do it that way.
I am going to contact the provider "three" again to see about a change in contract when I renew it. (in fact it's due to be renewed at present).
Thank you again
Best wishes, Ian

kasfig

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
Dear ScienceGuy
Further to the above I have been in touch with my cell phone sim provider (Three.co.uk) who are putting me on a new sim only contract from 8th October.
They did confirm that I had no hotspot allowance. (Strange how hotspot does work though when I put the sim in a dongle)
However the new contract gives me 8gb data a month (double what it was previously) all for the same price. And this includes a hotspot allowance (presumably 1gb but perhaps more) .
Thanks and best wishes, Ian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss