My Thoughts On Windows 10 (Mobile and Otherwise)

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
We've been waiting a long time for evolution in Windows. Over the last two years or so Windows Phone (and also Windows PC) has changed dramatically. Yet the people who shout loudest are the ones who don't think anything Microsoft has done is either good enough or helpful.

Now Windows 10 is here, and it is unarguably Microsoft's greatest achievement. Does that mean it's their best OS? Absolutely not. Everything about Windows 10 is polarizing opinion. Some key examples include the Start Menu, Continuum, and Hamburger Menus. Microsoft is quite obviously throwing everything they have into Windows 10. It's a complete reboot of every system at their disposal. They are attempting to accomplish that which has been tried before but never accomplished. Completely uniting all the systems. PC, tablet, smartphone, Xbox, and IoT, together under one UI, and one banner. One Windows for everyone, and everything, and the last Windows. Ever. Apple has tried with Continuity, but iOS and OS X are still too far apart. Google has tried with Chrome and Android, but the same problem arises. Microsoft has already come closer than any other major software developer with Universal Applications. But will it work?

I've fondly awaited the arrival of new builds for the Technical Preview, and now the Insider Preview. I've watched, along with a lot of you, Microsoft's progress with their newest OS. And, to be quite frank, I've been enjoying it. I don't necessarily agree with every decision they've made, or how they've backtracked on some decisions, but I've enjoyed watching it. I look forward to the final product, and I will use it as gladly as I used Windows XP, 7, Vista, 8, and 8.1. I already think it is a better OS than 8.1 in many ways. More...complete, even without being polished. But it's not the features that are polarizing opinion and causing such controversy. It's the design. I've seen so many arguments all over this site about those blasted Hamburger Menus, and the Start Menu, and the Settings page, and the icon design, and Edge, and Cortana. Basically, everything even slightly different has been criticized. However, I think Microsoft is playing it smart.

Let me use the Hamburger Menus as an example. You see, Microsoft has started moving everything over to Hamburger Menus, and it's possibly the most controversial move they've made so far. Especially in Windows Phone. It's detrimental to one-handed use; it doesn't fit with the rest of the OS; it doesn't work as well as the ellipsis; pivots would be better. It goes on and on and on. Well people, let me tell it to you straight. Windows Phone is at the bottom of Microsoft's priority list. And it's understandable why. PC is where Microsoft is focusing it's energy, because that's where most of its user base is--that's where the money is. And on PC...the Hamburger Menus WORK. They're obvious, clean, and anyone using the system will know that they should click that funny little button. And on large touch screens, like the Surface Pro 3, it still works. It's touch friendly. And I hope you're not attempting to use the Pro 3 with only one hand. With Windows Phones, the benefits aren't quite as obvious. But I can see where it is. It's about uniformity. It's supposed to be ONE Windows. The same UI. On PC, the ellipsis doesn't make as much sense. It's less obvious to users, it's not as mouse and keyboard friendly. And because PC is Microsoft's priority, of course they're going to make the UI decisions based on what's better for PC. When you're trying to united so many utterly and completely different devices, you have to make sacrifices. This is sacrifice number one. We sacrifice a small amount of usability for a huge amount of uniformity. When people look at Windows Phone, we want them to see the same amount of productivity and beauty they see on PC. If someone decides to use Windows Phone, we would alienate them by presenting a completely different UI then on PC. Where are the Hamburger Menus that they're used to? Why does it look so different? Didn't Microsoft promise uniformity? Isn't this supposed to be one OS? Do you understand what I mean? Microsoft is doing everything they can to please every party, and even though they'll never succeed, they're getting pretty close. They're making UI decisions that fit PC AND phone, even if smartphone users have to make a compromise. In other words, they're doing what the majority says (PC) but still trying to listen to the minority (smartphone).

I believe firmly that Microsoft is making every decision based off of this philosophy. They're trying to find the compromise between productivity and uniformity. Hamburger Menus probably aren't the best solution for just PC, and it's not the best solution for just phone. But it's the best solution for PC AND phone. I didn't start this just to talk about Hamburger Menus, it was just the easiest example. The entire UI is like this. Yes, it's different from Metro, but OF COURSE it's different from Metro. Quite simply, Windows 8.1 on PC AND Phone was a failure for Microsoft. Windows 8.1 failed to lure people from Windows 7, and Windows Phone 8.1 failed to dramatically increase Microsoft's market share. Why shouldn't they try something different? At least they're not throwing away our beloved Live Tiles. The Windows spirit is still there, but it's going in a different direction.

Now I've already gone on for quite a long time, so I'm going to try and wrap it up a little bit. I think Windows 10 for PC looks amazing, and will be infinitely better than 8.1. Will it be better than 7? We'll see. I think Windows Phone will look amazing when it's FINISHED, but we still have half a year before that. Microsoft is heading in a good direction, and Nadella is been doing great. All Microsoft needs to do is figure out how marketing works. The reason Apple and Samsung stole the market out from previously big players like HTC and LG is because both of the two largest companies in the business invested billions in marketing. In my opinion, Microsoft is a fantastic software developer. Live Tiles were and still are truly brilliant. Oh yes they've made some STUPID mistakes in the past, but Apple has made just as stupid mistakes. The only difference is, they're so large already that it barely makes a dent in their claim of the market. Microsoft can really sell their software but they have to SELL it. (Anyone else think Microsoft regrets giving Apple money when they were going bankrupt? Haha). Microsoft--marketing is where you fail. It's not design, regardless of what the loud ones say. It can be messy at times, or even non-existent other times, but I know that true art takes TIME and we can't expect instant gratification. I'll gladly wait until fall for the definitive Windows Phone, I'll gladly wait for the slow evolution of Windows 10 over time. But, Microsoft, it doesn't matter how beautiful your OS is, or how amazing, if know one cares about it. Where you fail is advertising. You have money, use it.

Oh, I've been going on long enough. I'll leave it here. I'll check in every day to see what you guys think (and how many of you wish to yell at me) and add my thoughts.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, first things first: Windows 10 isn't really "here" yet - it seems to be coming fast, though. Whether it is the greatest achievement of Microsoft, I slightly disagree. Microsoft brought many other things into the world in addition to a family or hierarchy of operating systems.

Hamburger menus - get ready to usher in the fervent critics and supporters! :wink:

I'd rather sit back and watch (or read) what others have to say about what you've written, but I basically agree with what I think I've understood based on what I've read from what you've written - that Microsoft is, and could be actually close to, achieving a uniform and (hopefully) indisputably recognizable Windows experience, that it is impossible to please everyone (unless the world population is reduced below some critical number), and that while mistakes are inevitable one must learn from them and then put whatever has been learned into committed action.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Hmm, first things first: Windows 10 isn't really "here" yet - it seems to be coming fast, though. Whether it is the greatest achievement of Microsoft, I slightly disagree. Microsoft brought many other things into the world in addition to a family or hierarchy of operating systems.

Hamburger menus - get ready to usher in the fervent critics and supporters! :wink:

I'd rather sit back and watch (or read) what others have to say about what you've written, but I basically agree with what I think I've understood based on what I've read from what you've written - that Microsoft is, and could be actually close to, achieving a uniform and (hopefully) indisputably recognizable Windows experience, that it is impossible to please everyone (unless the world population is reduced below some critical number), and that while mistakes are inevitable one must learn from them and then put whatever has been learned into committed action.
Well said.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Well said Zachary Boddy! I do have some things to add in regards for windows phone:

I don't think the hamburger menu is a bad thing at all, in my eyes, it simply looks like a solution to the navigation issue WP has always had, people talk as if the pivot is going away, it's not, in fact, the pivot system has been widely used wrong for a while now! Back when WP 7 was around the pivot system was only meant to be used as a filter, a quick way to switch between categories of a section, unfortunately, Microsoft never adopted a true way to navigate WP, which in turn caused developers to use the pivots incorrectly and eventually lead to the navigation issues present in WP 8.1.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I didn't understand your point. Could you explain it in further detail?

My point...people are complaining nonstop about Windows 10. That's to be expected, of course, but it's still a present issue. My point is that I think Windows 10 will be great, because it HAS to be great. Microsoft has put everything they have into Windows 10 and if it fails they will have two major OS failures. They're working nonstop to find the perfect compromises to make with their newest system, and a way to please everyone. They're trying to craft a SINGLE OS using a SINGLE design to be used on millions of different devices. Desktops, laptops, 2-1's, hybrids, tablets, smartphones, IoT devices, even wearables.
When you're designing a uniform system for that many devices, it won't all be perfect. But it can work. I think the Hamburger Menus are GOOD, they WORK. I think Cortana looks good, and she works. The Dark Theme looks good, and will work with some work, haha. The settings page is just supposed to be uniform, and it works. It all works, or it either wouldn't be a part of the OS or won't be by the time the RTM is released.
Windows 10 is necessary, change is necessary (but not change for the sake of change). Nothing we do will make Windows 8.1 any less of a colossal failure.
Windows 10 Mobile is necessary, even if it's far from finished.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Well said Zachary Boddy! I do have some things to add in regards for windows phone:

I don't think the hamburger menu is a bad thing at all, in my eyes, it simply looks like a solution to the navigation issue WP has always had, people talk as if the pivot is going away, it's not, in fact, the pivot system has been widely used wrong for a while now! Back when WP 7 was around the pivot system was only meant to be used as a filter, a quick way to switch between categories of a section, unfortunately, Microsoft never adopted a true way to navigate WP, which in turn caused developers to use the pivots incorrectly and eventually lead to the navigation issues present in WP 8.1.

That makes sense, thank you for helping me justify Hamburger Menus. I like them, personally.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Same, though I do think the hamburger would look better if they put the hamburger menu on the left of the elipsies bar, I still think it looks nice, the new outlook mail app shows fantastic use of the hamburger menu.

Bambu Utila

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I agree that Win 10 is coming along nicely, I have no issues with the hamburger menu, I like what they are trying to do with Continium, but what the hell are they doing to the All Apps section. It was so nice in Windows 8. swipe p from the start screen and you have all your apps ready for you.
Now it's a few clicks to just get to the All Apps and it's back to being limited to a tiny portion of the screen. I really hope they find a better solution for that.

I also miss full screen browsing like in the Modern version of IE, but I guess i'm a minority in that regard

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I agree that Win 10 is coming along nicely, I have no issues with the hamburger menu, I like what they are trying to do with Continium, but what the hell are they doing to the All Apps section. It was so nice in Windows 8. swipe p from the start screen and you have all your apps ready for you.
Now it's a few clicks to just get to the All Apps and it's back to being limited to a tiny portion of the screen. I really hope they find a better solution for that.

I also miss full screen browsing like in the Modern version of IE, but I guess i'm a minority in that regard

I do hope they amend that situation. As to the full screen browsing, Microsoft has hinted this is a feature they will add later on in Edge.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
... but what the hell are they doing to the All Apps section. It was so nice in Windows 8. swipe p from the start screen and you have all your apps ready for you.

I've always thought the "All apps" view in Windows 8.x was a disaster. I personally never cared for it on touch devices or PC.As far as accessing "All Apps" in Windows 10 TP (on a touch enabled device), does it not allow you to swipe out the list when on the Start Screen? That seems like the best solution IMO. When on the start screen a swipe deploys the "All Apps" list when on any other screen it would show the Task View.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've always thought the "All apps" view in Windows 8.x was a disaster. I personally never cared for it on touch devices or PC.As far as accessing "All Apps" in Windows 10 TP (on a touch enabled device), does it not allow you to swipe out the list when on the Start Screen? That seems like the best solution IMO. When on the start screen a swipe deploys the "All Apps" list when on any other screen it would show the Task View.

On Windows 8.1 I personally think the "All Apps" page is horrid, but I haven't really looked at it on Windows 10 yet. What exactly did Microsoft change and is it better or worse in your opinion?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99