New leak claims The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is getting a remake

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
Elder Scrolls remakes: Morrowind, yes, absolutely.
Oblivion, too, however it gets done.

But also ARENA and DAGGERFALL getting the 3D open world view treatment needs doing. Ideally in release order.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Elder Scrolls remakes: Morrowind, yes, absolutely.
Oblivion, too, however it gets done.

But also ARENA and DAGGERFALL getting the 3D open world view treatment needs doing. Ideally in release order.
I agree on Morrowind: that story was amazing. Maybe it's because it was my first Elder Scrolls game (never played Arena or Daggerfall), but it still feels like the best in some ways to me. To this day, I still think the way they handled the competing religions and myths and how they evolved differently for the different peoples over thousands of years from the same original set of actual events was amazing. I also thought the Dunmer culture and their great houses were all incredibly interesting. Some of the best story ever in any game (or across any media, for that matter).

For me, both Skyrim and Oblivion started strong, but the main story sort of fizzled out toward the ending. Of course, Skyrim had wonderful things to do beyond the main story that kept it fun for longer.

On the other hand, in favor of an Oblivion remake, where Morrowind felt well executed and so maybe doesn't need a remake as much (also, its keyboard-using dialog may not translate well to modern controller-based gaming), Oblivion always felt like a missed opportunity for me. In the original game, after you'd closed 2-3 of the Oblivion gates, you realized while each realm had its own map, they were all effectively the same thing. Each prince was just a mediocre mini-boss who were all killed in exactly the same way. If a redo included major and diverse Oblivion realms with more personality for each of the princes, getting tougher and tougher to beat, that could make it a much better game.

Last edited:

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
Morrowind was not only my first ES game but also my first (modern) console game.
(My gaming before was on computers but upgtading video to run Morrowing cost more than an XBOX. And living room gaming is easier on the back than sitting for six hours+.)

My take is that MS shoudn't look at their IPs as individual games but as franchises and all recent evidence (Master Chief Collection, Tony HawK, Mass Effect Legendary, emphasis on backwards compatibility, the need to stuff Gamepass, the recent old COD revival, the prospect of updated transformers) is that there is big value in updating the old games. The older the game, the bigger the value.

Oblivion is playable today
Morrowind is barely so because of the animation, and aspect ratio. And the first two games need a full remake, not just a remaster, because they can't be payed on console or cloud. There's money to be made in remaking them for modern platforms.

And the fact that the remake can be farmed out in part or in whole is added incentive. Big games that can be had cheap.

Now, as to an Oblivion remaster vs Skyblivion there it the matter of (ahem) lucre.
A remaster can be sold as a new, standalone *commercial* game. Skyblivion? Hard to know. More, can Skyblivion even run on console or cloud?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markarmjamtions