New Microsoft store announced

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft have announced a new store for Canada in Calgary's Chinook Mall opening August 14th, great news indeed.

anon(8365295)

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Looks like the store opened today. I heard ads on the radio that The Band Perry is there too. I can't believe it took two years to get one after Edmonton did.

chilero

May 17, 2011
Visit site
The lineups in the morning were huge and snaked around the mall past the Apple store. Seemed like a ton of people leaving with the $99 Dell Venue Pro. It was too busy to do any real shopping but it was great to see so many people out. Everyone in line got the Microsoft t-shirts. The real fans put them on. It was also nice to see a whole bunch of Lumia 1020s in peoples hands, which is something I had never seen before today, apart from my family.

The store itself is fantastic and the staff were great. It'll be nice to have a store that actually carries Windows Phone accessories and have all of the Windows Phones (the few that Canada does have) on display.

It is now my go to place for all things Microsoft and PC.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The lineups in the morning were huge and snaked around the mall past the Apple store. Seemed like a ton of people leaving with the $99 Dell Venue Pro. It was too busy to do any real shopping but it was great to see so many people out. Everyone in line got the Microsoft t-shirts. The real fans put them on. It was also nice to see a whole bunch of Lumia 1020s in peoples hands, which is something I had never seen before today, apart from my family.

The store itself is fantastic and the staff were great. It'll be nice to have a store that actually carries Windows Phone accessories and have all of the Windows Phones (the few that Canada does have) on display.

It is now my go to place for all things Microsoft and PC.

Dell Venue Pro 8 retails for $249.99 on Dell's site. If MS is basically giving these away at substantial losses, it speaks volumes. They really shouldn't do this kind of nonsense.

chilero

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Dell Venue Pro 8 retails for $249.99 on Dell's site. If MS is basically giving these away at substantial losses, it speaks volumes. They really shouldn't do this kind of nonsense.

Sure they should. It is just basic marketing. Lure people to your store, especially at the grand opening. Those marketing dollars can be spent many ways to get people into the store. Every grand opening of every type of store has specials on items that they feel will attract customers.

I'm not so convinced on the concert. I think the concert may attract people who couldn't care less about anything Microsoft and only show up for the tickets. Maybe that is the purpose, to attract people who normally wouldn't come to a Microsoft store.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Sure they should. It is just basic marketing. Lure people to your store, especially at the grand opening. Those marketing dollars can be spent many ways to get people into the store. Every grand opening of every type of store has specials on items that they feel will attract customers.

I'm not so convinced on the concert. I think the concert may attract people who couldn't care less about anything Microsoft and only show up for the tickets. Maybe that is the purpose, to attract people who normally wouldn't come to a Microsoft store.

I think your last sentence is correct. They're using the concert as a tool for marketing to new potential customers.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think your last sentence is correct. They're using the concert as a tool for marketing to new potential customers.

Yeah but does it ever work? All these dozens of concerts to open up MS stores and it resulted in what? Sure MS Store has great sales on Day 1, and then it's *crickets* the rest of eternity. All you have to do is go read Yelp reviews to see how few people are in an MS store at random times. Of course, personally I think the concept is good. There needs to be a place where you can get top Windows computers without junk-ware as well as see the best selection of Windows Phones all updated and with knowledgeable salespeople who are 100% dedicated towards getting you to buy one. Answer Desk and the XBox area are good too. However, based on actual sales per square foot the results are just not good. People who are looking to spend > $1000 on computers tend to buy Macs these days.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but does it ever work? All these dozens of concerts to open up MS stores and it resulted in what? Sure MS Store has great sales on Day 1, and then it's *crickets* the rest of eternity. All you have to do is go read Yelp reviews to see how few people are in an MS store at random times. Of course, personally I think the concept is good. There needs to be a place where you can get top Windows computers without junk-ware as well as see the best selection of Windows Phones all updated and with knowledgeable salespeople who are 100% dedicated towards getting you to buy one. Answer Desk and the XBox area are good too. However, based on actual sales per square foot the results are just not good. People who are looking to spend > $1000 on computers tend to buy Macs these days.

How would you promote the stores to young people if the concerts don't work?

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
went there on Saturday and was extremely busy, good to see.
lots of people were actually buying lots of stuff.
635 seems to be popular, as well as surface 3 and xbox.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
even went on a Monday afternoon to buy a case for my 1020 and still people buying stuff, seems to have been a good choice for MS to open it there and it will be right next to the new Nordstrom's store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)