Nokia Lumia 1520 not promoted in UK

Iyare Umweni

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I am a loyal Nokia customer. I have had the N95, N958gb, N8, E7, Lumia 800, Lumia 920 and have had to wait for Nokia to come back to meet what others were doing.
In the west we have bailed out Nokia otherwise it would have disappeared completely.
Yet when it comes to new handsets we are now being treated like second class citizens and get no promotion or availability.
The 1520 is available in lots of countries across the world but not in the UK in almost any stores. You can only get it online.
It is also only available in Black and White - no Red or Yellow!
On the UK Nokia website they have stopped promoting the 1520 and are now promoting the 1320 which is the lesser of the two.
The 1520 is still on the site but it is way down and there is nothing to draw your eye to it.
They were even promoting the 928 instead - and this is now an OLD phone. (While it is still great, there have been several releases since this phone)
Still no availability of the 1520.
London Fashion Week - a killer promotion opportunity - No promotion.
The film awards season - no promotion
The Oscars (fantastic opportunity) - No promotion. (have you seen what Samsung did!)
There are NO posters for Nokia phones on any of the very many mobile phone shops in my locale.
If there are ever any promotional materials - the Nokia phone is mixed in with other (usually android) phones.
It is as if NOKIA do not WANT to sell phones OR services in the UK.
On the day it was announced I received an email for EE that they will be having the Galaxy S5 soon and that I should consider upgrading to it.
I got another one shortly after saying they want me to look at getting the Sony Experia Z2
The Lumia 1520 was announced before November 2013 - still no promotion and EE have no date when they will have the phone.
It is as if Nokia simply do not care about us in the UK and are focussed exclusively on emerging markets.
If we in the west choose to move to Apple or Samsung (which is not a difficult choice) it will be a big problem for Nokia.
Love to get your thoughts on this.

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's a bit of a silent beast.........the only people who know about it are people who want it and go searching......i want it (in yellow) but am just slightly hesitant in pulling the trigger due to very little press here in the UK about it, makes me think nokia are not really interested in this model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Avro504

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I asked in every mobile phone store I was passing for a month, but was always met with blank looks, best most could manage was a 1020, in the end I purchased online from Clove, was a little hesitant as it's a lot of money if you decide it's not for you.

Iyare Umweni

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
The challenge here is commitment.
If the manufacturer is not confidently promoting their wares then what confidence could a
prospective buyer have in the product. Especially when there are so many
competitors who do seem to have real confidence in their products.
The day the Galaxy S5 was announced I got an email from EE saying they were going to get it soon and that I should upgrade to it.
Nokia make what I believe to be the best hardware out there in phones but they don't care enough about their stuff or customers
(jn non-emerging markets).
Strategicallly - this is a bad move.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps they just don't have as much money to market their phones as Samsung. By this logic, we should all buy only phones from the richest companies (i.e. Apple and Samsung).

madasafishuk

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
As a corporate techie, the entire Lumia range is very well promoted to enterprise customers, the 1520 and 925 being advertised heavily... Think it needs the same push in the consumer market as well...

Iyare Umweni

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Interesting - where do you see this 'quite good' promotion into the enterprise space. I am not questioning your comments I am just really interested as I have not seen these promotions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon