Nokia Lumia 830 AT&T running W10 pros/cons

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
With it being about a week since AT&T branded 830's got an official update, I just wanted to post my findings on how the system works with the pros and cons the new software in comparison to 8.1

Pros of the update:
Access to new applications. While I may not be a member of Bank of America or shop at Starbucks, those apps are now available to me in case I want to, in addition to a lot more that will see updates in the future.
Fixed some bugs from 8.1: I had a particular problem with selecting photos from any apps, be it uploading a picture onto a social media account to uploading a file to send via text message which has been resolved. I also see some less loading screens in W10 than I did in 8.1 for the apps that I use a lot, such as AlphaJax and the Music apps among others.
Cleaner UI: This is more of a opinion rather than a true pro, but W10 looks great and has a more refreshed look compared to 8.1 on the 830.
Messaging: Text messages now display almost instantly when I turn on my phone for those I received while my phone was off, in comparison to the 2-3 hour lag time I had with 8.1
Photo editing: I often save photos which require a small amount of cropping. The cropping sometimes failed to save or reversed itself on 8.1, and I haven't seen this happen to my pictures yet on W10 (This may need more time to verify it from happening).

Cons of the update:
Battery life no longer is excellent: W10 certainly takes a toll on the battery, with the average discharge rate on stand-by being around 2.5% per hour when it used to be about 1% on 8.1. I have not done a hard reset when I updated, so that may be something I need to do in order to get a better discharge rate.
Groove Music: While I appreciate the new features of Groove Music, the app itself feels so clunky compared to the simplistic and minimalist design of the Xbox Music app. It doesn't help that at least two of my songs are not read correctly and play extremely loud portions of the background and that the only way to create a playlist is to click each song album by album instead of displaying a list of all my songs to choose from like I had on Xbox Music. Finally, Groove Music uses up a lot of battery, and having it connect to data is a quick way to drain your battery.
Messaging: The Skype connection with the messaging app seems to cause a faster drain of the battery, and I have not found a way to disable Skype from being attached from the app.
Xbox Live Profile does have to be connected by checking the app each time I turn on my phone, and it sometimes takes multiple times before I can view my profile.

These findings aren't in depth, but they cover most of the basic things in which a 830 user may experience. Some of these things are anecdotal (such as the uploading a photo bug) so the pros and cons of updating to the official release of W10 for AT&T 830 users may differ. Overall, I am happy that I chose to make the update, though faster battery drain and other bugs do cause a what would have been an amazing change to be less so.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
groove music can show all songs, just explore it carefully, you'll see it.
go to messaging, open settings - unlink skype from messaging

A few things you can try out:
  1. Check settings >system > battery > which apps are using the most energy?
  2. Again, in battery section, which apps can run in the background? Can you disable those you don't need? Keep messaging enabled to run in background
  3. In battery section, you can also set up battery saver to kick in when the battery reaches a certain percentage. I keep mine on 100% so it's always on battery saver mode
  4. In mail app, how often do you have mails to sync? Generally the longer the time period, the less the battery usage
  5. What about brightness settings? Is it on high or auto? Auto is better than a fixed setting
  6. If you find that messaging app uses a lot of battery, this could be because it's linked with skype. Go to messaging app, settings and unlink skype
  7. In photos app, do you have auto upload of photos enabled? If yes, try to not upload high res photos and videos unless you are charging the phone and on wifi
  8. When you use some apps that are not data heavy like whatsapp or mail, you can use a lower network speed like 2G. It's what I do usually. I only use LTE when I have to use 6tag
  9. If you're using edge for basic browsing, you could try using UC browser. Not only does it use less data but you can also disable images which means you save even more on data. The less data your phone has to receive, the less the energy used
  10. In settings > privacy - check each of those settings to see which apps can use what. For example I can't understand why Word would need to access location info so I disabled that. There might be apps using services that they are not meant to use
  11. Finally, keep wifi/cellular off when you don't need to have them on. The toggles in action centre are pretty fast so it doesn't take much time in switching internet on/off
  12. Disable auto update of apps, you only update when you are ready and not when you are in need of critical things
  13. For insider rings – reduce the amount of telemetry and feedback that you send – this can have a big impact
  14. If you have Cortana tile pinned to start screen, remove it

Hope this helps you

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720