Notification sounds and alternate apps

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi, in windows phone you could set sms notification tones to your own custom sound. is there a way to do that in android? or is it just Samsung galaxy phone that blocks that?

Also, is there any messaging app that works like windows phone did where you tap on the home screen icon and it always takes you to the main app window instead of the last message thread you were in?

chanchan05

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
1. Yes. Open the messaging app press the 3 dots>settings>notifications. You can change the sound there.

2. All of them behaves as you describe. The only way they'd go back to the last thread is if you pressed home button instead of the back button to exit.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
hmm, when I do 3 dots>settings>notifications it only shows the built in notification sounds, not other custom ones or sounds I put on the phone

chanchan05

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
hmm, when I do 3 dots>settings>notifications it only shows the built in notification sounds, not other custom ones or sounds I put on the phone
You're supposed to add them to a specific folder. I forget which one. I use Zedge to download which automatically puts them in the correct place for the system to recognize them as tones.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
ah, good call, there is a Notifications folder.

although now I can't find how to set a notification for a specific contact, only a ringtone... maybe Galaxy contacts app doesn't allow it.

chanchan05

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
ah, good call, there is a Notifications folder.

although now I can't find how to set a notification for a specific contact, only a ringtone... maybe Galaxy contacts app doesn't allow it.
You can't anymore. Not on any phone running Oreo and above. Google blocked apps intercepting notifications for other apps. Samsung Contacts used that to set specific message tones before. So it got broke. You can set notifications on a thread basis now in the Messaging app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos