O is the new N(orth)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I got a new 1520 and used the Hardware Tests app to make sure everything is working fine.

Everything checked out EXCEPT the compass. Instead of "pointing" North, it always points at the letter O in Compass at the top of the test page. To make things even stranger, my original 1520 did the same thing but with it I didn't run the tests until after that phone was dieing so chalked it up to part of whatever killed that phone.

Below is a picture of my new 1520 next to my wife's 925 (both running WP8.1 and Cyan). On the 925 the compass points to North. On my 1520 it points to the letter O in the word compass. I thought that was just coincidence until I realized that no matter how I turned the phone it always pointed to the letter O. I posted a video of that below also.

Since the compass test shows true north on the 925, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the test app. But since BOTH my 1520s always thought North was the letter O in compass, I find it hard to believe that all 1520s do this and nobody has reported it. Yet if it is a rare bug, it's not likely that every one I try has the bug. Here is a link to the test app if you don't already have it: Hardware Tests | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

So what's happening? Is the Compass accurate in your 1520? And what kind of problems can occur is your phone thinks North is East, West, South or anywhere but actual North?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Man that's weird...
Maybe the counter top is magnetic :smile:
I know you're kidding but as the pic shows the same app shows proper north on the 925 right next to the 1520 and the video shows the pointer moving the same way as the phone when it is rotated when it obviously should be moving the OPPOSITE direction from the phone rotation.

Have you tried going outside instead of having the phone on the counter?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk
I didn't post it but it does the same thing out in the desert far from anything man made. Plus my first 1520 did the same thing and it wasn't ever on the counter when I had the compass test running.

Can someone else check their 1520's compass and see if it is "crazy"? I'm two for two. B&H will probably freak out when I ask for a SECOND replacement.

And seriously, what apps or services use the compass? The only one I know of is an option in Here Maps that superimposes the names of things when you hold the phone up and face different directions. It used to be a separate app. I think it was called City View or something.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Okay. I installed a compass app to see if it did the same as the test app. The first thing it did was ask me to wave the phone around to calibrate the compass sensor.

After that it showed true north and so did the test app. So apparently the compass was unreliable in both my 1520s because it had not been calibrated.

I suspect most/all compass apps know enough to do the calibration but the developer of the Hardware Tests app didn't think to include that.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if you had done the "wave" figure 8 thing.
Jack of Tools pro seems to keep a calibrated compass (as long as I don't reboot) where other compass apps don't seem to.
Always wondered why.

Glad there was a solution to this Hoosier...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria