Oh Lumia 950 how I missed you

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
So it has been two weeks now since my second shot with the Lumia 950 and W10M and I can tell you with 100% honesty that I have not missed my iPhone or iOS one bit. I still use an iPhone 6, I have to for work, and I don't wish to use it, in fact several features now annoy me on it, and the iOS 10 version of Apple Music killed my subscription with them, It's awful. I moved to Deezer but not on Groove Music. I have not missed one feature from iOS in the past two weeks. Fingers crossed that MSFT keep developing W10M and don't mess it up (for me), at the 950 last until there is a regeneration of Windows powered phone.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I've also been using the Surface 3 I bought earlier this year but never spent much time with, and I can say I have not used my 2012 MBP unless I needed some heavy lifting in Light Room. I can honestly say that I am really getting into Windows 10 and the Surface and after watching the Surface event MSFT is courting me away from Apple. Especially after the Apple event which in my opinion bombed. MSFT spanked Apple's arse.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I want to mention my experience so far with apps. I was concerned when I moved to the Lumia that I would have the lack of apps issue that is frequently discussed with Windows Phone. What this subject has done for me has made me explore alternatives and third party apps. For example YouTube lacks the app on W10M, but I use Tubecast Pro. I've been away with work this week and used my iPhone 6 a lot and what I've relalised is that the native YouTube app on iOS sucks. It has a couple of features on it that I think are not on Tubecast, but there is no reason for me to be disappointed with not having a native YouTube app on W10M. I have found this with other apps too, my podcast App Grover Pro is so much better than the app I used on iOS. I love Tweet It on W10M and I didn't think Tweetbot could be beaten. So far Edge is really impressing me, it looks gorgeous, all the functions I need are there. Google and Chrome on Android look awful and Safari is very good but no better than Edge. The only apps that have let me down is Evernote and MyfitnessPal. But, the awful W10M Evernote has made me try OneNote and I am really liking it and with it on my Surface 3 (with Pen) boom. I just need to spend more time on it but I can almost say, Evernote who! As for Snapchat, not my bag I've got better things to do, most social media is more a distraction so I don't care about not having those apps. I look forward to exploring the app store for more.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I used to like the Mail and Calendar App on iOS and liked the fact that they synced with my mac. But when MSFT released the Outlook I moved iCloud email to that as I liked the format better, but kept my calendar in the native app. Since moving to the Lumia I have realised how much I prefer the formatting of Outlook Mail and Calendar over iOS Mail or iOS Outlook. The W10M and Lumia 950 versions look really nice I find the functions simple to use and now I am using the Surface instead of my aging and slow iPad all the syncing works great. I am finding myself using the outlook.com mail account that I set up when I bought the Lumia 950 instead of iCloud and am also exploring OneDrive over iCloud arrive and Dropbox.

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I've been a long time Windows Phone fan and I was one of the first guys singing the 950's praise last year when I got mine after a brief foray into the Android world. I loved the 950, but a few months ago a few crucial apps decided to ditch support for Windows Mobile :( so my hand was kind of forced. I started using an LG G5 which in my opinion is the closest you can get to the Lumia 950 experience with an Android phone. Things like double tap to wake, good camera (though not quite as good as the 950), removable battery and microSD slot and good audio playback with headphones....

...But I STILL use my 950. I just really miss the OS and I like the pureview camera. So right now I'm on and off between my 950 and LG G5. If just two of those crucial apps suprises me and comes out with a Universal Windows app then I'll be back on the 950 full-time.

What worries me for the future is what is going to happen with the Pureview camera tech? I've always gotten the best results from this Nokia technology but I'd hate to see it go away.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I thought I would put up a quick pick of my original Lumia 950, it met a sad end.

When I ordered it I intended to replace my iPhone 5s with it as I had become sick and tired of iOS. I was bored with it, how it looked the who Apple OS, and I wanted a change, something that more suited my needs and I thought was ascetically pleasing. I saw some of the ads from the 950 online and thought i'd try it in the shop. I have always really liked the Lumia ads, they were much better than the iPhone ads. As soon as tried it in the shop I did I loved it, much to the annoyance to the sales assistant who insisted I choose a Samsung Galaxy (can't remember which model, maybe S6).

Sadly, whilst a watching the iPad Pro (12") keynote in my kitchen I dropped it on the tiled floor, it made impact on the corner, and the result is plain to see. It still worked perfectly, but then I dropped it again about a month later and that was it, the screen packed up. I could still hear the music playing on it so the phone was still working.

I pulled the handset out of my draw today to grab the battery, I am charging it up so that I can do a weekly swap between it and the battery in my new handset. Hopefully that will extend the life of the batteries as I don't see much in of future handset to hope for. Therefore the 950 will be my handset until it becomes unusable. I can see W10M continuing and I am very happy with that, the hardware needs to last as long as the other rumours 3rd part phones have done nothing for me, even then HP thing is way to big to even spark my interest. 5.5 is about the max screen I want, 5.2 is perfect.

Image.png.jpeg

But until it all dies, or there is Surface Phone or whatever then I'm a Windows user.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I have just watched the new Windows Central Podcast, primarily on their opinion on 'Why Does Windows 10 Mobile Exist' and to be very honest, if what Zac says is the realty of what is happen (or close to it) with MSFT then I am totally OK with that. The OS works very well for me, I am happy with the apps, the services etc, that it already has had incremental improvements and fixes are fine. I don't need any major upgrade like iOS and Android has every year, and if I really think about it I have always felt let down by the other two in their version updates.

Don't get me started on the new MBP upgrade. I will leave my soap box in the cupboard at the moment, but Apple has slowly been turning me off over the past year.

Do I think the W10M OS is perfect, no I don't. I am also not a programmer or someone in tune with tech to any detailed level to understand where the bugs or are in it etc. Therefore, for my general consumer needs, it is very good and smaller updates, fixes and improvements are cool with me.

Of course, in app terms if the apps I use are killed off, and I can't find replacements I like then that is another matter all together, only individuals can decided on their app needs, but for me, social media is a distraction and annoyance and why is everyone so obsessed with the amount of apps on the iOS etc, most of them are rubbish or just alternative versions of what is already on there. Once I found what I liked and could use then I didn't change. With the W10M apps (including their Surface OS versions) I have found some really nice ones, so I am good.

Podcast For info (Starts at W10M Section)

https://youtu.be/H2wQUmnwmhs?t=19m22s

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Glad that u love the lumia 950...i have been using it since last dec when it was launched here in india...very few people realise how good windows 10 mobile is...just few app gap are keeping people away...iam very happy with my lumia 950 and have mozo leather case on it which really makes it look premium...and iam also using S7 Edgd...love both my phones...Hope we get to see an Awesome Surface phone next year

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I can say, with my hand on my heart that since starting this thread on the 22nd October 2016 and using the Lumia 950 as my daily phone I do not miss iPhone or iOS one bit. I still use the iPhone 6 as a work phone and there is n desire to go back to Apple as a personal phone. There are some features that would be nice to have that iOS and Android OS and handset have, but nothing that I would criticise the Lumia and W10M for not having. But, I would criticise this Windows Central App for not allowing paragraph spaces.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa