One of the best hands-on review of Windows 10 I've seen yet

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 review: hands on with the preview version of Windows 10 and the new Start menu, Edge browser, new apps and Cortana

As the Windows 10 release is imminent, here's what we think of the new OS based on the latest insider preview version, in our Windows 10 hands-on review.

Microsoft in late 2014 took the wraps off the Technical Preview of its next Windows operating system, and in doing so it took everyone by surprise. We expected the next generation of Windows: we just didn't expect it to be called Windows 10. None the less here is Windows 10: the next Windows OS for PCs and laptops, smartphones and tablets. And, indeed, an OS for servers and all points inbetween.
Microsoft said that Windows 10 is built from the ground up for a world in which mobile- and cloud computing are key. Execs from the company said it was committed to making Windows 10 friendly for the enterprise, ideal for keyboard and mouse users, but also optimised for touch. Oh, and Windows 10 will put the same interface on devices with displays ranging in size from 4in to 80in. 'One product family, one platform, one store,' says Microsoft.
Given the lukewarm reaction to compromised Windows 8, these seem like bold claims. They are necessary, though.Also necessary is Microsoft's decision to make Windows 10 the most beta-tested product it has ever released. Windows 10 was tested by over 4 million people around the world before its launch.
See also: Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Windows-10-start-menu.jpg

Windows 10 review: what's new

Critically the Start Menu is back. It contains standard Windows software and Windows apps. Modern UI apps, as they used to be called. Or Metro apps, if you want to go right back to the beginning.
But this time the Start menu is improved, and it may even make Windows apps useful. Look to the left and you'll see a list of your most-used apps, just as in Windows 7. At the bottom we see an 'All apps' shortcut, plus shortcuts to File Explorer, Settings and ? conveniently ? shut down and standby.

And Microsoft has retained the functionality of the Windows 8 Start screen over on the right, with resizable Live Tiles so that you can immediately check unread mail or Calendar appointments. The Start Menu is customisable - you can resize it, and rearrange the tiles, create groups of tiles, and you can also revert to the Windows 8 Start Screen, should you wish to.
The full-screen start menu is really meant for tablet use, where it makes most sense, but you can choose to use it on a PC or laptop without a touchscreen if you like.

We're fans of the tile concept, if not the inelegance with which they're currently presented. As with Windows Phone, it's what you can pin that matters. Instead of merely adding shortcuts to apps, you can pin tiles which are shortcuts to specific functions or features within apps.
This makes life a lot more convenient when you begin pinning the right stuff. For example, you could pin a particular email or conversation thread from Mail or Facebook, or pin a certain journey (your commute, typically) in a travel app. It saves a lot of time, believe us.

More here...

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for taking the time to share this. I was just bemoaning my PC ignorance on another thread. Today is "seriously, Mary Beth, learn the basics about your laptop" Day. I'm always harping on folks to learn about how best to use their phone. Going to take my own advice today regarding my computer. Great timing and thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077