Post Reset - GMail Not Connecting

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I purchased a used L950XL to replace my existing one (broken screen, no BT etc). I did a fresh install (no restore from backups) and tried adding my GMail account to the Mail app. I am constantly getting a 0x800000b error. I tried adding it as an "Advanced EMail Setup" which works, but I cannot add the same to the Calendar app, which defeats the purpose. The same behavior even when I reset the phone and restore my backup.

Anyone have recommendations? Supremely frustrated that something working flawlessly on my old phone is not working on the new one. FYI, in the Settings App within GMail on my browser, I checked the Forwarding/POP/IMAP settings. POP email is disabled and IMAP is enabled.

LWILLITS123

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Gmail doesn't use active sync. And imap does not do contacts or calendar. Google decided not to pay for active sync licensing a long time ago and imap which it uses when not on android is inferior in many ways. Same happens when you try to use outlook with Gmail.

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I did install all the updates. And I tried changing from IMAP to POP, with the same results. Don't know what else to do. Could this be MS or Google who's blocking this?

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I did install all the updates. And I tried changing from IMAP to POP, with the same results. Don't know what else to do. Could this be MS or Google who's blocking this?

Finally managed to get this to work. Don't know why this worked, but it did. The solution was to restore from a backup made a month or so back. The thing that clued me up to this was the "Connected Services" in Cortana. Noticed the option to link GMail, tried it and it went through without a hitch. So knew that the problem was not on the Google end, but definitely MS. So the steps were:

1) Use WDRT to restore to an earlier version of WinPhone
2) Once reset, restore from a backup made about a month back (this restored Windows to the most recent version)
3) Once backup was restored, I got a prompt saying that Outlook could not restore my GMail and Yahoo accounts (see the trend here? Non-MS accounts not restored)
4) Did nothing, not even open Outlook
5) Made sure that MS Store was updated first, and then had multiple apps update themselves, including Outlook Mail
6) Check again to make sure that there are no further app updates in MS Store. Guess what, there were and one of them was Outlook Mail
7) Once all apps updated, opened Outlook Mail, gave my GMail and Yahoo credentials (by selecting "Fix Account")
8) Emails flowed through and so did Google Calendar
9) Reset my GMail and Yahoo settings to download mail from any time and left the phone on the charger over night.

Everything works well now. The only issue is I have two versions of every app (one which is full installed and the other which says "Pending"). If this is what it takes to be on WinPhone, so be it.:amaze: At least everything works well, and the start screen is set up to my liking.

Last edited:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Really sucks if Google broke the new mail setup. I haven't done a from new in a long time, backup restores have been good for me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon