Progressive Web Apps (PWA): What they are, and what they mean for Microsoft

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
pwa-android-edge-shortcuts.jpg

In my latest video, I break down what are PWAs, why Microsoft is embracing Google's technology, and what it means for the Microsoft Store and Windows 10.
Over the last year, the discussion around Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) has grown in the tech media as more browsers began to adopt support.
But what exactly is a PWA and how does it differ from old web-wrapper apps? Are they another reach-for-the-stars attempt by Microsoft, or a legit alternative to native apps on mobile and PC?
Microsoft recently detailed its plans in depth for Windows 10 Redstone 4 for PWAs, the Edge browser, and the Microsoft Store. I also wrote a primer on who is really behind PWAs and why.
But in today's video, I want to answer some specific questions about PWAs, Microrosft, and what it means for Windows 10.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I sort of wonder, considering that google is the originator of PWA's, why would they do this?

They've been really good at staving off competition, and did everything they could to not help other platforms, then why this now? Why open themselves up to this kind of competition, now?

PWA's are clearly the best chance for MS windows on a phone. I wouldn't be surprised if the andromeda device is delayed while PWA's start to gain a foothold.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss