[Real Users] My Lumia 640 XL Review

ivan_m

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
3 months ago I gor lumia 640xl lte. Previously I had Nokia E79 and Galaxy S2.

The Good:
Very stable. Like OS very much. Never have to reboot it. LIke, never, ever.
Works smoothly with 1GB RAM.
Great camera.
Very good battery life

The Bad:
No native support for video call. This is inexplicable. :angry:
Phone automatically change photo res when I send it through SMS. It resize photo and make it very small. So I have to send it by mail or Viber. Also inexplicable. :angry:
Can't attach documents to email, only photos. Supposedly corrected in W10
No backup for contacts.
NAV bar is bad solution. Gets in the way. Takes up space from the screen. Always have to hide/unhide it.
Can't change camera resolution ????
There isn't one-button-push-silent-mode. Inexplicable !!!!!

Last edited:

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I bought a 640XL LTE just to see if I like the larger size of a phone before getting a 950XL...but after seeing it the flesh I'll think I'll wait!

My daily driver was a 930 and after using the 640 for a week or so I've found

• I love WM10. I tried it on a 630 but after using it on a better phone I like it.....maybe better than 8.1 (please don't shoot me!)
  • 5.7" is a nice size for a phone, I love more screen.
  • LCD is OK. My last 3 'proper' phones (not the 630) have had AMOLED and thought I wouldn't like LCD, but I was wrong.
  • Qi is nice, but not a deal breaker.
  • A proper camera button is something I really miss
  • On screen buttons are OK, I though I'd miss capacitive ones but I don't.
  • For the first time in years I don't need to charge the battery every night!

The 640XL LTE is a hell of a phone for the money.

I might go back to using the 930 for a change, but I do like the 640.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Got it about a month ago and so far I am very satisfied with it's preformance.

Before 640 XL I was using 630 and I actually did like the 630 at first, but it slowly became outdated and the main reasons that I went away from it were just 512 MB of RAM, poor rear camera without the flash, it didn't have a front camera and the screen wasn't really fantastic. It is not comparable to 640 XL in anyway, the only thing that was sort of good was the price of 630.

The 640 XL has a gorgeus display compared to the 630 and I figured out I like phones with larger screen more than the ones smaller than 5.5". At first it did feel a bit awkward in my hand because I used significantly smaller devices previously, but I got used to it and I really really like it (when I will be buying me a next phone from MS it will definetley be an XL version or with other words, larger than 5.5"). Also, not to forget the glance screen and double tap to wake which are also two features that I really really like.

As it goes for the OS and battery life... I bought it just a day or two before the Windows 10 Mobile was realeased so I can't really tell the difference between preformance on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, but I can say, for sure, that battery life on build .218 is a lot better than on initial version which came with upgrade (.164). I really like the Windows 10 Mobile UI and Cortana and the UWP apps like Outlook Mail and Calendar + Groove Music.
I use the phone for quite a lot, and I burn approximately 35% of the battery per day. Yet, I charge it every night, because I had bad expirience on 630 with not charging it daily.

I am not really a very good photographer, but I still like the pictures as the camera is significantly better than the one on 630. Rich capture (HDR) really does it job, though at the low illumination of places it does work slow and it did take a lot of time to process the images which was a bit irritating but that was just one situation where I was literally taking pictures every 5 seconds. To be honest, I didn't test the front camera yet in detail, but for casual selfies and Skype calls it seems to be pretty nice.

The speaker is much louder than the one on 630, but it is still not the strongest one (rock songs suck if they are not loud in my opinion) and the sound quality is better aswell.

Compared to the 630, the 640 XL is despite it's size surprisingly lighter and thinner. It feels really nice in the hand, but it takes a day or two to get used to it if you were using a smaller phone before. I ordered the flip shell from MS store and so far I am satisfied with it aswell, it covers the screen nicely, though some people didn't figure out that they had to take off the original cover and then put the shell on the phone. The shell does make the phone a bit more thick but in general it feels the same as the original cover.

One thing that I miss on this device is the camera button. Even if I am not a really good photographer, I would still appreciate to have a camera button which would really make taking pictures easier.

The main reason I went for the 640 XL was that in reviews I've read a lot of negative stuff about the 950 and the 950 XL and because I am pretty low on the budget nowadays. I still sometimes think that I should've gone with 950 XL, but then I remind myself that MS will most probably launch a Surface Phone next year, which will probably be even more polished than 950 XL so I might ditch the 640 XL then, though it will still be an amazing phone.

Bottom line, the only negative points of 640 XL are:
  • It does miss camera button
  • Taking pictures can be slow sometimes
  • It doesn't have AMOLED screen and Wireless charging, but that's not a deal breaker for me

And the good:
  • Sharp display
  • Good battery life
  • Windows 10 Mobile upgrade available
  • Excellent value for the price

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254