Remember those IDC and Gartner PC sales estimates from a couple of weeks ago?

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Just a couple of weeks ago, Gartner and IDC published their PC sales estimates for the 4th quarter 2015 (calendar year). Windows Central had this article from Jan. 13th:

The launch of Windows 10 didn't stem the decline of PC shipments during 2015 | Windows Central

In that article, they link to the press releases from IDC and Gartner. While there are some differences in estimates, both IDC and Gartner agreed that top Windows PC makers and the PC market overall saw significant sales declines from Q4 2014, with the possible exception of ASUS. (IDC estimated ASUS sales increased 0.8%, while Gartner had them declining 3.2%.) However, both IDC and Gartner agreed in their estimates that Apple would see a 2.8% sales increase in Macs vs Q4 2014. (Funny that they agreed only on Apple's sales increase.) This was taken by many as a double-whammy for Microsoft. Apple's PC sales are increasing in contrast to the sales decline trend for Windows PCs.

So today, we get Apple's financial report for Q4 2015 (which like many companies is their financial Q1 2016 quarter), and it turns out that Mac sales actually declined 3.8% from the year ago quarter (EDGAR Pro) So Apple isn't bucking the PC sales trend after all. I'm sure that'll get corrected in the public consciousness ASAP.....

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day, I want Apple to sell more Mac products, so that MS keeps on improving Windows products.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day, I want Apple to sell more Mac products, so that MS keeps on improving Windows products.

Yeah, I'm not celebrating Apple's sales decline. I just find it curious that for the one vendor that I happened to check, it's clear that both IDC and Gartner were way off. I only went back and checked because skimming an article that I ran across on Apple's overall financials I saw a reference to the Mac sales decline, and then I remembered that these two companies were expecting an increase. We see these estimates come out every quarter, and I've tended to just accept their conclusions, but this "spot check" has me wondering how accurate their estimates really are.

BTW, is there really a Windows Central App for Blackberry? That's really cool! (I'm serious - not being sarcastic.)

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
BTW, is there really a Windows Central App for Blackberry? That's really cool! (I'm serious - not being sarcastic.)

I am using the WP Central app on my BlackBerry 10 device, but it is an Android port, so no, it is not specifically made for BlackBerry 10, but the Android version works as good as a native one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss