[Review] Incipio PMA Charging Case

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I have been playing around with the Incipio PMA Charging Case for the 1520 and thought I would put in my 2 cents in case anyone is looking for something last minute or to spend their Christmas Gift Cards on.

Link: PMA Wireless Charging Case for Nokia Lumia 1520 | Incipio

Incipio PMA Wireless Charging Case for Nokia Lumia 1520

I know these have been out for a while and I don't normally spend this kind of money on cases or the like, but I managed to grab this off Amazon (last one in stock at the time) along with 2 Power Mats for $55.

Case Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2911148
Power Mat Link: Amazon.com: Duracell Powermat for 2 Devices (PMA compatible)-Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

First off, looking at the pictures, I was a little scared as it looked REALLY bulky, not in reality, it's just bulky enough to make the phone feel like you are able to hold it firmly without running the risk of dropping or crushing it. It still fits in my pocket with the same bulkiness feeling to it without the case, so it is comfortable but does not feel thicker.

With Amazon listing the weight at 0.8 ounces, it feels heavier than that, but overall, the weight doesn't feel bad at all.

The case does not cover the top or the bottom of the phone, so there is nothing preventing you from plugging anything into the phone (USB or Headphones). The case itself is pretty snug. I mean you snap it into the case and become thankful you don't have a back cover you need to pull off to access anything in. This can be a pain if you need to access the SDCard or SIM trays, but you get a comfortable feeling that your phone won't just "pop out" of this case.

The Duracell PMA Charging Mats

Now, I have had a 920 in the past with Qi wireless charging and LOVED it! I have nothing bad to say about my experience with it. Now that I have used PMA, I think I am a convert now.

Things I like about the PMA mats I have (I cannot say this is the same as all mats since these are the only ones I have ever used for PMA):

• The construction of the charging mats feel more solid than the Qi ones I have
  • Multiple devices on one pad
  • With the standard being more popular world wide than Qi, the lower costs of the accessories overall
  • The sound it makes when placing and removing my device makes me think I am charging a Transformer (yes, this is my geekiness)
  • The slight, but noticeable, magnetic pull to ensure I am placing the device correctly adds confidence that your device is charging

These are just a few things I can name off the top of my head.

Overall, I would have LOVED to have kept the Qi without having to go out and buy an armload of new accessories, but now that I have both, I think I would like to stay with PMA over Qi.

Thanks for reading!

flipmack

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I actually just started using the Incipio PMA case yesterday and to be honest, I prefer it to the Fosmon "hybo-ragged" case that's on Amazon, which I had been using previously. Though I don't plan on picking up a PMA charger for home use, I can anticipate that PMA will be rolled out to more and more locations (at least where I live in Southern California). It's already in most of the Starbucks coffee shops in my neighborhood, and though I don't sit in Starbucks or frequent it enough, it's still nice to know that I can quickly charge my phone as-needed.

As a case itself - I think that it's like a mullet: business up front, party in the back. Basically, from the front, with the phone inserted, it's a nice and slim case that offers minimal protection...but from the back, it's "large and in charge" - yes, it adds some bulk, but it's manageable and in my opinion, offers a better grasp on the phone as opposed to a naked phone. I like the grippy material and I also like the curved shape of the back - it really suits how I typically hold my phone. Without the case, I felt like I was going to drop the phone, but with the Incipio PMA case, it adds a nice 'solid' feel to the phone.

Additionally, the case is stiff - I don't think I can twist it unless I use some force. This adds to further protect the 1520 - I'm convinced that the screen issues that are plaguing the 1520 are due to twisting and slight bending of the LCD and chassis, and I'm hoping that the Incipio PMA case will prevent that.

Now, the downsides:
- there's no front protection. I can't put the phone face-down on a surface.
- it's difficult to take the phone out, which for me, is an issue since I use my Lumia 635 when I run/ride, so I'm frequently swapping sims.
- there's no bumper for the top/bottom of the phone.

I'm happy with the case (but I'm not complaining since I didn't have to pay for it).

Would I pay full price for it? Nope.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
flipmack

I agree with you on the bulkiness adding to comfort of holding the device. I find that I feel more confident when holding it than I did when naked.

I agree, not sure I would have paid the $50 tag for it full price, but with getting the case and 2 power mat's for it for the price of the case+tax, I won't complain one bit.

The Cons you listed, I agree that there is no front protection, but as for taking the phone out, I would agree that it can be a pain, i tried once and got it out and hope I don't have to do it again. :D

Thanks for your addition and feedback!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos