Rogers L920 - Amber - To Flash or not to Flash

Badcard

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Well I've got a dilemma, and I'd like to get you're feedback.

I have a Unlocked Rogers Black L920, with FW 1314.
I used to live in Canada, but am now back in France (on SFR network if that matters). :eek:rly:
I really want the Amber update!! :smile:

I have a feeling that since I'm not on Rogers network anymore, I won't ever get the OTA update (SFR doesn't carry the L920), am I right?
I'm also having a feeling that my connectivity in France is not what it could be (not as good as what I experienced on Rogers), could a EU rom improve on that?
I don't care for any crapware from Rogers, plus would like to get DataSense and other features that might not be available on any of Rogers roms.

So, I'm pondering the decision to flash my phone using one of the guides found on the forum:

VegaNovus
or
juan6996

A few concerns though:
- Is it confirmed that flashing a RM820 to RM821, there's no way back? (or is there?)
- France only has 4G at the moment, but I travel to Canada often and don't really want to give up on LTE.
- I really need for all features to work (SMS/MMS, etc...) and not to loose my Sim unlock (from what I gather, it's ok, but I want to make sure)
- I understand that there's a chance that I won't get further OTA after flashing, is that correct?
- Is there any app limitations that I should know about on a flashed phone? (here)​

What do you guys think?

Should I flash?
What would be the best Rom for my case in you opinion?

If I go through, in my case since I'm already on Rogers's 1314, am I right in thinking that I can just go directly to flashing an Amber rom?

Many thanks in advance for any useful feedback!! :smile:

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend using the euro dev rom in my tutorial. It lets you choose the best network bands for your network, and remover all carrier crapware and gives you all GDR2/Amber features. If you end up not liking it for some reason, just flash it back to the pre-portico rom found in my tutorial and OTA update to the newest firmware. If you don't care about loosing app data, there's really nothing to loose. Good luck. You won't loose SIM unlock.

Badcard

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
@juan6996
Thanks!
So you're referring to the amber fw for product code 059R4H6, right?
I've read on other French forums that the unbranded product code for France is 059Q8C2.
But I'm guessing that means I'll only have 4G then, so I take it that your recommendation is more flexible.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
@juan6996
Thanks!
So you're referring to the amber fw for product code 059R4H6, right?
I've read on other French forums that the unbranded product code for France is 059Q8C2.
But I'm guessing that means I'll only have 4G then, so I take it that your recommendation is more flexible.

yes. If I was in your position, its what I would do

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend using the euro dev rom in my tutorial. It lets you choose the best network bands for your network, and remover all carrier crapware and gives you all GDR2/Amber features. If you end up not liking it for some reason, just flash it back to the pre-portico rom found in my tutorial and OTA update to the newest firmware. If you don't care about loosing app data, there's really nothing to loose. Good luck. You won't loose SIM unlock.

Does it keeps the AWS Tmobile-US band?

jusdis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
No you shouldn't. I did it with the euro rom. But I went back cause my me tile picture didn't update the pic when I changed it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa