Selling a Pc what happens to the Windows licence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindaandjon

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm selling an old laptop and it has a windows 10 licence on it that is tied to my MS account. The licence came with the laptop. Can I sell the laptop with windows 10 included and loaded? I've removed the hard drive, down a full format and then replaced it and reloaded Windows 10 fresh.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm selling an old laptop and it has a windows 10 licence on it that is tied to my MS account. The licence came with the laptop. Can I sell the laptop with windows 10 included and loaded? I've removed the hard drive, down a full format and then replaced it and reloaded Windows 10 fresh.

Hmm, good question.

Did you upgrade to windows 10 when it was free or buy the license?

If you upgraded to Windows 10 when it was free, you would have been given a generic key. You can find out the Productkey with Produkey by Nirsoft (free and doesn't require installation).

You can find a list of generic product keys here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/95922-generic-product-keys-install-windows-10-editions.html

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The laptop had Windows 8 on and was upgraded under the free upgrade scheme. I don't remember being given any key, I thought it just upgraded itself!

In that case you have generic key therefore there shouldn't be any issues as you effectively won't be using the same key and it should validate automatically due to the Unique HW identifier for the new user. You can check this by going setting up a Generic User account (a local account) and not attach your Microsoft account.

It should then automatically validate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap