Should I replace Cortana with Google Assist

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Six months into using an Android phone, I'm wondering why I should stay with Cortana?
I use MS's Arrow launcher and made Cortana the default digital assistant, but now I'm wondering if Google Assist wouldn't be the better option.

What are the advantages of Cortana over Google Assist? I'd appreciate hearing from those who've used both. Thanks.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's been a while since I've used either but I'm going to start a list of what I know off the top of my head will apply, I'd wait for others to chime in though.

Cortana pros:
Windows 10 integration

Google Assistant pros:
"Okay Google" activation
Google integration
More development and features

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I started my Android experience by going all in with MS, but have since switched to Google calendar and contacts, and have started using Play Music instead of Spotify. Still use Outlook for email

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Outlook for Android can't manually sync. I used Gmail app and woohoo... Can manually sync. Not sure why MS left out this option in Android.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Outlook for Android can't manually sync. I used Gmail app and woohoo... Can manually sync. Not sure why MS left out this option in Android.

Actually Outlook for Android CAN manually sync, pull down when at the top of the inbox. I guess you were looking for a button to tap on.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Actually Outlook for Android CAN manually sync, pull down when at the top of the inbox. I guess you were looking for a button to tap on.

Nope. It still auto push mails at scheduled interval, which I don't want. What you are referring to is akin to driving an automatic car by manually shifting.

What I want and prefer is full manual car. No mails pushed in until I press on or pull down.

😊

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
when i switched back to android i loaded it all with ms services and apps, all have since been replaced and removed, google stuff works way better period.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Nope. It still auto push mails at scheduled interval, which I don't want. What you are referring to is akin to driving an automatic car by manually shifting.

What I want and prefer is full manual car. No mails pushed in until I press on or pull down.

������

I know what you're looking for, a button just like on Windows Phone which doesn't exist on Android. To manually sync you have to pull down when at the top of the inbox to initiate a manual sync, how is it still automatic if you pull down manually and if the server supports push email then yes it will use push to send the email to your phone.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know what you're looking for, a button just like on Windows Phone which doesn't exist on Android. To manually sync you have to pull down when at the top of the inbox to initiate a manual sync, how is it still automatic if you pull down manually and if the server supports push email then yes it will use push to send the email to your phone.

He’s saying that he wants the option to manually check and ONLY check when he manually activates it.

It appears that Outlook will let him manually check, but will still poll in the background automatically.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
He’s saying that he wants the option to manually check and ONLY check when he manually activates it.

It appears that Outlook will let him manually check, but will still poll in the background automatically.

Absolutely right. This option is needed for most people who are on prepaid Mobile to control cost and prevent shock when data plan runs out.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely right. This option is needed for most people who are on prepaid Mobile to control cost and prevent shock when data plan runs out.
Do you purchase your texts one at a time too? May I ask, what does it cost you to send a single text, (if you do)? I think I remember paying 30 cents (USA) for each text, 10 +/- years ago. That could be a shock too.
Just wondering.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
when i switched back to android i loaded it all with ms services and apps, all have since been replaced and removed, google stuff works way better period.

What make it better from your perspective, just curious? I still use Microsoft services (cortana, launcher, edge, onedrive, OneNote, word, excel, PowerPoint, office lens, Microsoft news/sports, outlook) on Android and am more than happy with those.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site

It just sends you a push notification, it doesn't actually download the email. You can just block all notification via the app or in the Android settings and no notification will be received.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Just cancel notifications via the app or Android system settings. That way you wont receive the push notifications. When you receive a notification the app doesnt download the emails. The app downloads the email whenever the app starts or you pull down while on the app after it starts if you set it up that way in the app settings

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If any of the previous Google/Siri/Cortana showdowns still hold true then Google is still the voice assistant king. That said, it really comes down to what you use your voice assistant for. I use Cortana not only because it integrates with my current devices, but also because I'm a pretty casual user. I don't have any services like Spotify connected. The only smart home stuff I use is Phillips Hue which already works fine. And all my voice searches are simple stuff like weather, setting reminders, or business information. I'm certainly not doing anything that requires Google's more expansive knowledge base. In fact, I'd lose more than I would gain given that Google Assistant isn't integrated into my current crop of devices aside from my phone.

So I say give Cortana a shot. You certainly wouldn't lose much other than time. And you'll know that it's time to switch when you start hitting roadblocks in what Cortana can do.

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Cortana works well enough. I refuse to activate Google Assistant.

Ever since I decided to be more proactive about which companies I let sell me like a data-based prostitute, I excised Google as much as possible from my life. Plus they don't make apps for Windows, why should I let them profit from me if they don't like to support my hardware? I've got my droid locked down with as little Google as I can manage. I don't even care that Google Play Services drops errors constantly.

Cortana integrates well with my Surface, so having her on my Phone (droid or otherwise) is a natural progression. And if Microsoft has the testicular fortitude necessary to give me an Andromeda device, I'll happily ditch this Google data collecting monstrosity in a heartbeat.

Coming full circle back to your actual question though, if you don't care about any of that, Google Assistant is a very robust and powerful tool. Just don't expect it to work on your PC.

TL;DR
Cortana for better PC/Phone cohesion.
Google for better Android integrations.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I use Google as Cortana never seemed developed enough (rarely functioned or was very unreliable) in my region so lost interest quite some time ago, never looked back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923