Should i upgrade to Windows 10 or stay on Lumia denim?

JamesM90

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
I've bought a Lumia 640xl two days ago. It's running Lumia denim(is version I 8.10.15148.160). I checked for updates through settings and there was just a small update available, after installing that everytime I check for updates it says your phone is up to date. Downloaded windows 10 upgrade advisor, and it is waiting for my instructions to download.
What are the pros and cons of upgrading? What will I gain and what am I going to lose? I've read that the camera quality becomes worse and some of the here adopts won't be available. What are some other things to consider?
And also, before upgrading, should I take a back up to be able to downgrade(if I choose to)? Or is there no need for that? I have most my apps on the SD card. Thanks.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
In addition to what is suggested, I'll add the following:

-Your apps on the SD card will not update with you when/if you choose to do that. I don't know to describe this but basically, only media comes with you when updating. Your apps just become unreadable storage that the updated OS can't use. Same goes if/when downgrading
-One clear pro is that most apps that are updated are updated for Windows 10 (and you'll be able to use Skype)
-You can use Windows Device Recovery Tool to downgrade back to 8.1. You can back up if you'll like to keep everything together (I would suggest backing up your texts regardless), and it makes no difference in being able to downgrade.
-One con is that your battery life might take a hit, aside from the other one you already posted about the camera.
-Stability of the OS is getting to be pretty good but it's not equal to 8.1 stability yet.

Finally, if you update after all, do not restore from a backup. Start fresh. Your backed up text messages will begin to populate in a bit, and your contacts are in the cloud, so they will be there with you.

phuqit

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I've had no issues with the release ring of Win 10 Mobile. Actually like it much better than 8.1. Helping my wife with her phone makes me realize how much better win 10 is compared to 8.1. There are more features and the settings are much better organized. I believe more & better apps are available in W10, though She & I don't use a lot of apps. I would highly recommend it at this point in time.

AcGolfer

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
In addition to what is suggested, I'll add the following:

-Your apps on the SD card will not update with you when/if you choose to do that. I don't know to describe this but basically, only media comes with you when updating. Your apps just become unreadable storage that the updated OS can't use. Same goes if/when downgrading...
I upgrade last month and I like it, no problems, I have Windows 10 on my desktop computer too.

Libra89, I was wonderer about the unreadable bit that you mentions. All my apps that was possibly was installed on my SD card. I looked at my SD card and I did see WPSystem with about 1,200,000kB with many subfolder and some recognizable files that probably are new MS programs and some old apps. Should I do anything like delete things or nothing. Thanks

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Libra89, I was wonderer about the unreadable bit that you mentions. All my apps that was possibly was installed on my SD card. I looked at my SD card and I did see WPSystem with about 1,200,000kB with many subfolder and some recognizable files that probably are new MS programs and some old apps. Should I do anything like delete things or nothing. Thanks
If you have no photos or videos on your phone, I would suggest deleting the unreadable apps if you really need that space.

AcGolfer

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
If you have no photos or videos on your phone, I would suggest deleting the unreadable apps if you really need that space.
Thanks for the reply Libra, I have photos on my SD card, I really don't need the space. If I delete something needed I guess it can be reinstalled with no problem.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Your phone is supported by Windows 10 Mobile on an official capacity so I'd say go for it!

Windows Phone 8.1 is pretty much dead in the water and there are plenty of apps in the Windows Store that are "Built for Windows 10" that you're going to miss.

Windows 10 Mobile also has a lot more features that make it more useful.

There are a few things to keep in mind before upgrading.
- A clean slate is recommended, what I mean is.
- Perform a factory reset after installing Windows 10.
- Format your SD card as well and start from scratch
- This ensures, that whatever Windows 8 system files are wiped clean and not lurking anywhere within the software.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Your phone is supported by Windows 10 Mobile on an official capacity so I'd say go for it!

Windows Phone 8.1 is pretty much dead in the water and there are plenty of apps in the Windows Store that are "Built for Windows 10" that you're going to miss.

Windows 10 Mobile also has a lot more features that make it more useful.

There are a few things to keep in mind before upgrading.
- A clean slate is recommended, what I mean is.
- Perform a factory reset after installing Windows 10.
- Format your SD card as well and start from scratch
- This ensures, that whatever Windows 8 system files are wiped clean and not lurking anywhere within the software.

Don't know about the format the sd card part but I definitely recommend resetting after updating. Cause if you don't, it will come to bite you in the neck later.(because stabilty will drop if you don't)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro